Charity insurance from award winning charity insurer Markel Direct UK



Charity insurance

Our specialist charity insurance is designed to cover the many risks facing small charities, community groups and not for profit organisations.

With over 20 years experience insuring charities, we have an unrivalled reputation for expertise in the third sector, including winning the Voluntary, Care, Heritage and Education Underwriting Team of the Year award at the Underwriting Service Awards 2011.

Our charity insurance can provide cover against a whole range of risks. An accident involving a visitor at a fundraising event, an allegation of wrongdoing against a charity trustee or a volunteer injuring themselves while working for the charity could have disastrous consequences. Few charities have the financial strength to pay the costs, damages and any awards made against them in the event of a claim. Our specialist charity insurance provides cover against these scenarios, giving you the peace of mind that if something unexpected happens, your organisation is covered by an expert.

Understanding the different types of cover on offer to your charity can be confusing, which is why we’ll take the time to understand exactly what it is your charity does and explain (in plain English) the covers that are available to you.

Our charity insurance starts at just £6 a month – get a quote now or call us today!

Get a quote or call 0845 373 0405

We have a long history of working in the third sector

In addition to insuring thousands of charitable organisations over the last 20 years, we have raised over £130,000 for our supported charity, Carers Trust, and we are headline sponsors of the Third Sector Excellence Awards.


Tailor your charity insurance policy and buy online

Trustee indemnity insurance and professional indemnity insurance

Trustee indemnity insurance covers the legal costs and expenses of defending against disqualification as a trustee, investigations or extradition proceedings, protecting the trustee’s personal wealth. If your charity has trustees, you should give serious consideration to trustee indemnity insurance. Cover from £250k to £1m.

Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your charity against allegations of professional negligence, such as giving poor or incorrect advice to a user of your services. This could be someone undergoing counseling with your charity, for example.

Entity Defence covers your charity against identity fraud, investigations (other than by HM Revenue & Customs), corporate manslaughter and breach of contract. Entity defence is included in your policy at no additional cost when trustee liability insurance is part of your policy. Cover for £25,000.


Public and product liability insurance and employer's liability insurance

Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your charity if someone is injured, or their property damaged, due to your negligence. Without cover in place, the legal fees alone could cost your group thousands of pounds. Cover for £5m.

Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ staff or volunteers. It covers against allegations of injury or illness suffered by staff during their employment. If your charity has employees on a full time, part time or volunteer basis, this cover is essential. Cover for £10m.

Property damage insurance covers your buildings, general contents (including stock), computer equipment, tenant improvements and glass (for which you are responsible) against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your charity's premises. You can also choose to insure your charity's equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure against additional trading expenses following an interruption (for example, a flood that means your charity has to operate from another premises).
Money and personal assault covers loss of money for fixed limits up to a maximum of £250,000 for non-negotiable money (e.g. crossed cheques) and £2,500 for negotiable money depending on the nature of the loss. In addition to this if you, or members of your family, or employees, or members of their family, are injured during a robbery or attempted robbery, we will pay you either £5,000 or £50 per week for 104 weeks (depending on the nature of the injury).

What limit of cover should I choose?

Take into consideration the charity sector you operate, the size of your organisation and the effect a claim would have on it. Certain service providers, such as a village hall, may require you to have a certain limit in order to use their facilities, so be sure to check before arranging cover.

You can tailor your policy to include cover for as much or as little as you like, meaning you will only ever pay for the insurance you choose.

Our charity insurance starts at just £6 a month. Get a quote now or call us on 0845 373 0405 and we can quote you in minutes.

Get a quote or call 0845 373 0405

Customer rating

Rated 4.7 stars from 396 customer reviews at

Use an insurance broker?

Find out more about our charity insurance products available through insurance brokers.