Dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance

Specialist cover for dance teachers of all styles from as little as £5 a month

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

As a specialist insurance company with over 25 years experience, we have an unrivalled knowledge of the risks facing your profession and our specialist dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance offers expert cover.

Teaching dance classes can carry a whole host of risks. An allegation of unprofessional teaching, a student injuring themselves following negligent advice, or a fire at your studio could be devastating for your business. Our insurance for dance instructors and performing arts teachers can cover your business against these risks and many more.

We insure dance professionals teaching all kinds of styles, from zumba, tango and tap through to salsa, ballet and ballroom, as well as a wide variety of performing arts professionals.

Unlike many insurance schemes for dance tutors, we can help you tailor your policy to the needs of your dance or performing arts business. Our simple quote system asks about your business activities and offers you covers that may be of interest, so you will only ever pay for the cover you need.

Get an online quote in just 90 seconds to find out how little it costs to cover your business!

Customer reviews


Rated 4.7 stars from 396 customer reviews at Google

More performing arts professions we cover

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Build your dance teacher insurance policy

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    Examples of claims include:

    • You instruct a student how to perform a dance move, but they fall awkwardly while trying to perform it and hurt themselves. They take legal action against you, alleging you did not explain how to perform the move safely.
    • A child fails to make the progress expected of them and the parent alleges favouritism of other students is to blame. They take legal action against you, alleging that your services were inadequate.

    Limits available from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Public liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds.

    Examples of claims include:

    • A student slips on an unsecured dance floor during a routine and breaks their wrist. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.
    • A parent suffers an injury from a falling roof tile while attending their child’s dance class. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.

    This cover is generally considered essential for dance teachers renting a community hall or gym studio to carry out their sessions. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment.

    An example of a claim would be:

    • An employee trips over a cable leading to a sound system and injures themselves. They are unable to work as a result and take legal action against you for the injury suffered.

    If you have any employees, even on a part time basis, you need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. Sounds systems, laptops and mobiles phones can all be at risk during sessions and it's worth considering covering these items if you use them for your business. You can also choose to cover your business equipment on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to a property.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Free from mobile & landline


Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance is different - it covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • I teach lessons at different venues - is this covered?

    Yes. Regardless of where you teach - for example, at dance studios, village halls and gyms - you'll be covered under our policy.

  • I teach different types of dance - is this covered?

    Yes. We don't restrict the types of dance you teach so if, for example, you teach ballroom to some clients and salsa to others, you'll be covered by our policy.

  • Does the policy cover performances?

    No - we are currently unable to cover performances.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    Established over 25 years ago, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing professionals and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and you can view our details on the Financial Services Register. We're a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premiums of £800m ($1.2 billion) in 2015.

    Still not sure? Call us on 0800 640 6600 - one of our insurance experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and talk you through the insurance we offer so you can choose the right cover for your business. Alternatively, get an online quote in 90 seconds now and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

We offer a specialist policy for dance and performing arts teachers based at home

Our homeworkers insurance has been designed to provide specialist cover for home based professionals, including dance and performing arts teachers, against a wide range of risks. Home insurance policies rarely include cover for business activities, so be sure to arrange cover that will not leave your business exposed following an unforeseen event.

You can tailor your homeworker insurance to cover as much or as little of your business as you need – we offer a range of liability covers and you can also insure expensive business equipment. We also offer a choice of limits for each cover, so regardless of the size of your business, you can find expert insurance at the right price.

Cover starts at just £5/month.

Cover starting at just £5 a month