Flooring Contractor & Installers’ Insurance

Specialist insurance for flooring contractors and installers from £9 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

You wouldn’t think about trying to install flooring without having the right equipment to get the job done. The same principle applies to arranging insurance for your business.

Whether you specialise in laying floors in residential properties or large-scale commercial buildings, or a mixture of both, it’s vital that you have suitable financial protection in place.

From accidentally damaging a client’s property, to causing injury to a customer or member of the public, to an employee suffering an accident at work, you might face a wide range of risks in your profession. Having appropriate insurance will protect you in situations like these.

At Markel Direct, we offer tailored flooring contractor insurance that you can rely on. 

What is flooring contractor and installers’ insurance?

Business insurance for flooring contractors refers to a package of cover options designed to provide financial protection to people who specialise in flooring services, from site surveys, to surface preparation, to installation. This insurance can include various types of cover, including public liability protection, tools insurance and employers’ liability insurance. 

At Markel Direct, we offer a full range of cover options for you to choose from.

Get a quote now

Public liability insurance for flooring contractors and installers

Your work brings you into contact with members of the public on a frequent basis, and there is always a danger that you will cause injury or property damage. This means it’s essential to protect yourself against third-party claims that may arise in such scenarios. Public liability insurance is there to cover any compensation payments and legal defence costs you may face if you are subject to a claim.

For example, while installing new vinyl flooring for a customer, you cause damage to their walls. They seek compensation to repair the affected area. Or perhaps a customer suffers serious cuts to their foot as a result of debris you left behind following a job, causing them to sue you for their injuries.

If you would struggle to cover unexpected costs like these out of your own pocket, it’s important to make sure you have public liability insurance in place.  

Do I need flooring contractor and installers’ insurance?

As a flooring contractor, you might need certain types of insurance. The fact is, regardless of how skilled and meticulous you are in your work, you can’t rule out the possibility that projects won’t go to plan. If something does go wrong, the consequences could be serious for your finances.

For example, if you damage a client’s paint work as you’re carrying flooring into their home, they may ask you to cover the cost of having it repainted. Or what if you’re working at height constructing a new mezzanine floor and a tool you’re using falls on a member of the public walking underneath, causing head injuries. Would you be able to pay the resultant legal fees and compensation costs? Having public liability insurance in place will protect your finances in situations like these. You should also be aware that some clients may insist you have this cover in place before they will take you on for a job.

From mortar and grout mixers to jigsaws, mitre saws, power nailers and more, consider the equipment you rely on as a flooring contractor too. If this was stolen, lost or damaged, how much would you have to pay to replace or repair it? If you would struggle to cover this expense, it’s wise to take out tools insurance.

Another type of financial protection to be aware of is employers’ liability insurance. This is a legal requirement for all businesses with employees.

Why choose Markel Direct for flooring contractor and installers’ insurance?

There are many reasons to choose Markel for your flooring installers’ insurance. Here are just some:

✔ Zero hidden fees

You don’t have to worry about being hit with unexpected costs when you purchase flooring contractors’ insurance from us. Our pricing is upfront and transparent.  

✔ The easy way to get a quote

We know that flooring installers don’t have time to waste, which is why we make getting a quote quick and easy. Simply fill in our online form and get a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

✔ Only the cover you actually need

To ensure you benefit from the protection you need without paying for unnecessary cover, we offer policies tailored to match your precise requirements.

✔ Legal advice around the clock

If you need legal advice, you don’t want to have to wait. With Markel, you won’t. We run a 24/7 legal helpline operated by expert solicitors.

✔ Impressive customer feedback

Don’t just listen to what we have to say about our tradesman insurance. Check out our impressive customer ratings on Feefo.com.

How to buy flooring contractor and installers’ insurance

Purchasing flooring contractor insurance from us is easy. All you have to do is fill in our straightforward online quote form and we’ll provide you with a personalised quote.

Take a look at what we have to offer and, if you’re happy to proceed, you can choose whether to begin your cover straight away or arrange insurance up to 30 days in advance.  

How much does flooring contractor and installers’ insurance cost?

The cost of business insurance for flooring contractors depends on a number of factors. For example, the size of your business, the types of financial protection you want and the level of cover you require will all impact your premium.

Get a quote on our website today to see how much you can expect to pay.  

*Price based on a flooring contractor requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £9 a month

What insurance do flooring contractors and installers need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance protects you as a flooring contractor if a customer or member of the public suffers an injury or property damage due to the actions of your business. Our policies come with cover limits of between £1 million and £5 million.
    Example of a claim:
    While you are installing new flooring in a customer’s home, you damage the skirting boards. They seek compensation to cover the cost of repairs.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance offers protection if an employee suffers an injury or illness because of their work and seeks compensation for their suffering. By law, you must have a minimum of £5 million of this type of cover if you have employees. Our policies have a cover limit of £10 million.
    Example of a claim:
    One of your workers suffers serious injuries to their hand while using an electric saw to cut hardwood flooring to size. They sue you for compensation.

  • Tools insurance

    Tools insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your equipment if it is stolen, damaged or lost. We offer policies with limits of between £1,000 and £5,000, and you have a choice of protecting your tools during working hours (8am – 8pm) or around the clock.
    Example of a claim:
    While you are parked at a customer’s property, thieves break into your work van and steal valuable tools. You have to purchase replacements.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance is there to support your income if you can’t work because of an injury you suffer as a result of your job. It can provide weekly payments or a single lump sum, depending on the type of injury you experience.

  • Owned plant insurance

    Owned plant insurance offers protection if you have to replace or repair plant machinery you own because it has been damaged or stolen. Our policies come with limits of £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Hired in plant insurance

    Hired in plant insurance provides financial cover if plant equipment you have hired from a third party is damaged or stolen. We offer policies with cover limits ranging from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Contract works insurance protects your finances if you have to pay to repair or redo work you have completed on a construction site in the event of a flood, fire, theft or act of malicious damage.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    Goods in transit insurance offers financial protection if your goods are damaged or lost while being transported from one location to another. It covers items being moved in your own vehicles or by a courier on your behalf.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers you if a customer sues you because of a mistake you made in the service or advice you provided.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £9 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Is business insurance a legal requirement for flooring contractors and installers?

    No, most types of financial protection are not legally required for flooring installers. The exception to this is employers’ liability cover. If you have anyone working for you, you are obliged under the law to have this type of insurance in place.
    While other types of protection may not be legally mandated, it’s important to bear in mind that lacking appropriate cover could put your finances in danger.

  • Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

    When you buy tools insurance from us, you must cover all of your tools. This means you’re fully protected if the worst should happen. Failing to get cover for all your tools could result in your claim not being covered or mean you get a smaller amount in compensation.

  • Do flooring contractors and installers need professional indemnity insurance?

    As a flooring contractor, you are liable to pay any compensation and legal fees relating to claims of mistakes in the design or installation of your projects. Professional indemnity insurance protects you in these cases. While it is not mandatory to get this cover, it can play an important role in protecting your finances.

  • What should I do if a client asks me for proof of insurance?

    If a client asks you for proof of cover, simply show them the 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' that we provide to you by email as soon as you purchase cover from us.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. If you would like further information, visit the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your flooring business when you arrange cover with Markel, including:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

 Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting from £9 a month