The Nation's A* Apprentice Award: Terms and Conditions
Prize Competition Terms and Conditions - The Nation’s A* Apprentice
1. This competition is organised and promoted by Markel UK Limited of 20 Fenchurch Street, London, EC3M 3AZ with company number 02430992 (‘Markel’).
2. The competition is free to enter.
3. To enter the competition, you must nominate an apprentice whom you believe to be the ‘Nation’s A* Apprentice’ and who has explicitly given you their consent to be nominated in accordance with these terms and conditions.
4. Nominations must be made using this online form on the competition landing page at markeluk.com/apprentice/nominate-an-apprentice and may be made at any time between 00.01 on 05/02/2024 and 23.59 on 23/02/2024. Entries received outside of these times will not be accepted.
5. Markel will not accept responsibility for nominations that are incorrectly submitted, incomplete, lost or delayed, regardless of cause, including, for example, as a result of any equipment failure, technical malfunction, systems, satellite, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
6. By submitting a nomination, you are agreeing to be bound by these terms and conditions.
7. Nominations will be judged by a panel of three judges who will select three winners from a shortlist of up to ten finalists. The judges make their decisions using the following criteria:
a. Has the apprentice displayed a clear demonstration of being a team player?
b. Has the apprentice gone above and beyond their general role?
c. Has the apprentice overcome any personal challenges?
d. Any other relevant information the judges have collected on specific request following review of a nomination or which has otherwise been provided to Markel in connection with the nominee and is available for the judges to view.
8. The competition is open to all residents of the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man aged 18 or older at the time of entry, excluding employees of Markel, its holding company or subsidiary companies.
9. Nominees must be employed as an apprentice in a construction trade (for example: plumbing, bricklaying, plastering, carpentry etc) under the terms of a written Apprenticeship Agreement
10. Markel reserves the right to request proof of a nominee’s eligibility where there is any reason for doubt.
11. There is no limit of nominations per apprentice.
12. Markel will not accept nominations that are automatically generated by computer or by artificial intelligence, completed in bulk, are incomplete or where Markel deems in its absolute discretion that there is other good reason not to accept a nomination.
13. The winners of The Nation’s A* Apprentice award will receive a development package worth up to £5,000. The package is made up of a Festool toolkit and accessories worth £4,000, 24-hour tools cover for a year from Markel Direct (based on 24-hour cover for £4,000 worth of tools), and £750 to spend on TuffStuff workwear. The exact value of the prize is based on the manufacturer’s recommended retail price of the tools and workwear, and the cost of 24 hour tools’ cover with a limit of £4,000 from Markel Direct as of 03/01/2024.
14. The prize is not transferable nor exchangeable and is subject to availability. Markel reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of equal or greater value, where it is reasonable to do so.
15. Prizes will be awarded no later than 22/03/2024.
16. The decision of the judges is final and no further correspondence or discussion will be entered into in this regard.
17. Markel will contact the winners using the email address provided in their nomination forms and on the week commencing 26/02/2024 or alternatively as soon practicable following the judges’ decision. If the winners do not respond within seven days of being notified confirming their intention to claim the prize, then the prize will be forfeited and Markel may, at its absolute discretion, decide to award the prize to an alternative nominee after consultation with the judges.
18. Markel will publish winners’ details on the week commencing 18/03/2024 via its website markeluk.com/apprentice, such details to include the winners’ surname, county and details of the winning entries. This information shall be available for one month after the publication date.
19. If a winner objects to any of the details set out above being made public, they should contact Markel at firstname.lastname@example.org. In this circumstance, Markel must still provide the information and winning entry to the Advertising Standards Authority on request.
20. Insofar as is permitted by law, Markel will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by Markel’s negligence.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
21. All nominations and any supporting material submitted to Markel will become the property of Markel on receipt and will not be returned.
22. By submitting a nomination and any accompanying material you agree to:
a. assign absolutely to Markel all your intellectual property rights held in the competition entry with full title guarantee;
b. waive absolutely all moral rights; and
c. warrant that the nomination and any accompanying material is your own original work, that you have the right to make it available for the purpose of the competition, that you believe it to be accurate and that it does not violate the rights of any third party.
24. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these terms and conditions, Markel may, at its sole discretion disqualify your nomination.
25. Markel reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the competition where it becomes necessary to do so.
26. These terms and conditions are governed by English law and any dispute shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the UK courts.