Tools insurance

Specialist tools insurance for tradespeople from £8 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Your tools are your livelihood. If they are lost, damaged or stolen, you might not be able to complete work for clients. And replacing or repairing your equipment could put serious strain on your finances.

This is why tools insurance is so important for tradesmen. It can help to protect your business and give you welcome peace of mind.
At Markel, we offer excellent value insurance for work tools and will tailor your policy to meet your needs.

What is tools insurance?  

Tools insurance is there to cover the cost of replacing or repairing your equipment if it is damaged or lost, for example due to flooding, fire or theft. It includes power tool insurance, covering equipment such as sanders, drills, nail guns and angle grinders. Handheld tools are protected too, ranging from saws and chisels to hammers and screwdrivers.

We also offer protection for the portable electrical equipment your business uses. This includes items such as laptops, tablets, smartphones and digital cameras. Choose from cover limits of between £1,000 and £5,000.  

Do I need tools insurance?  

Even if you take great care of your tools, there is always a risk that something will go wrong. What if the equipment you rely on to do your job is stolen from your van overnight or while you are parked outside a client’s home? Or perhaps there is a flood or fire in the garage or storage unit where you leave your equipment, resulting in thousands of pounds worth of damage to your tools. Your equipment might also be damaged or stolen while you’re working on a building site. Having to replace or repair these items out of your own pocket could devastate your finances. And if you don’t have access to your equipment, you might end up letting customers down. As well as being bad news for your bottom line, this can damage your reputation.

By making sure you have suitable tradesman tool insurance in place, you can be sure that even if the worst happens, you won’t be left counting the cost.

Who is tools insurance for?  

Insurance for work tools is designed for anyone who relies on specialist equipment to do their job. At Markel, we offer tool insurance to a full range of other tradespeople, including:

  • Builders
  • Carpenters
  • Mechanics
  • Electricians
  • Plumbers
  • Decorators
  • Bricklayers
  • Carpet fitters
  • Handymen
  • Gardeners
  • Locksmiths
  • Plasterers
  • Tilers
  • Bathroom installers

Why choose Markel for tools insurance?  

Whether you’re looking for tool insurance for mechanics, builders, electricians or any other type of trade, we’ve got you covered. Here are just some of the reasons to choose us.

✔ Impressive customer ratings
You don’t have to take our word for the quality of our insurance policies. Check out our ratings on  

✔ No hidden fees
Our prices are fully transparent. So when you come to us for tool cover insurance, you won’t face any unexpected fees.  

✔ Quick and easy quotes
Find out how much you can expect to pay for business and personal tool insurance by filling in our quick and easy online form. We’ll give you a quote in as little as 90 seconds.  

✔ Legal advice whenever you need it
Thanks to our 24/7 legal advice helpline, you can access expert information and guidance whenever you need it.  

✔ Decades of experience
With more than two decades of experience in offering tradespeople insurance, you can rely on us to provide the tools insurance you need. 

How much does tools insurance cost?

Our partners at Caunce O’Hara offer tools insurance starting from £8* a month, so keeping your business protected may cost less than you think.

Get a quote today to see how much you can expect to pay.

* Price based on £1,000 of tools and trade materials insurance cover. Tools insurance can only be purchased with public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £8 a month

What other types of insurance do I need for my business?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance protects you if a member of the public suffers property damage or injury because of the actions of your business. Our policies are available with cover limits ranging from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    If you have employees, the law requires you to have at least £5 million worth of employers’ liability insurance in place. Even if your workers are temporary or part-time, you must have this financial protection. Our employers’ liability insurance provides up to £10 million in cover.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance supports your income if you’re injured at work (or on your way to or from work) and are prevented from doing your job. Depending on the type of injury you suffer, it can pay either weekly benefits or one lump sum.

  • Owned plant insurance

    If the plant machinery you own is accidentally damaged or stolen, owned plant insurance will pay the costs of repairing or replacing your plant machinery. Our owned plant insurance is available with cover limits ranging from £10,000 up to £50,0000.

  • Hired in plant

    If you hire in plant machinery like concrete mixers, forklifts and so on from a leasing company, hired in plant insurance will cover you if the machinery is damaged or stolen. Hired in plant insurance from Markel Direct can be purchased as an add-on to a broader tradesman insurance policy, with cover limits of between £10,000 and £50,0000 available.

  • Contract works insurance

    When you’re working on a construction project, a lot can go wrong. If for example, your work is affected by an unexpected event such as a flood, fire, theft or malicious damage, contract works insurance can protect you financially.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    If your job involves transporting goods, goods in transit insurance can be an important type of cover to consider. If your goods are lost or damaged while travelling, this type of insurance will cover the costs.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers you if you make a mistake in the professional services you offer to clients. It pays the legal costs and damages you may owe if a client sues you over a mistake you have made. This type of cover is especially important if you provide clients with services such as designs or advice for a fee.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £8 a month

Frequently asked questions

Access free legal services for  trades business when you purchase Legal Expenses insurance including:

  • 24hr legal helpline.
  • 800+ DIY legal resources including contracts, policies, forms, and letter templates from Markel’s solicitors.
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists, and useful links.
  • 460+ straight-forward guides.
  • 350+ links to key resources.
  • Up-to-date information on new legislation and case-law.
  • Live Chat available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00.

Discover more about these services here.

Cover starting from £8 a month