Goods in transit insurance

Specialist goods in transit insurance from £5 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

If your job involves transporting goods from one place to another, goods in transit insurance can be an important type of cover to consider.

What is goods in transit insurance?

Goods in transit insurance protects you financially, by covering the goods against damage, loss or theft while in transit.

This insurance can cover both goods transported in your own vehicle, or on your behalf by a third-party carrier.

Often the goods being transported can be expensive to replace but with goods in transit insurance, you don’t have to worry about that. If your goods are unexpectedly damaged or stolen, part or all of the cost required to repair and replace the goods will be covered by your insurance.

At Markel Direct, we offer goods in transit cover that you can rely on. This cover can be bought as part of your tradesman insurance policy which includes public liability insurance and other types of cover.

Our goods in transit insurance pays you if the goods you are carrying are damaged or stolen whilst in transit by any means, anywhere, in the United Kingdom .

You may also wish to consider tools insurance if you want to protect your tools in the course of your work.

Do I need goods in transit insurance?

Goods in transit insurance is often considered essential for self-employed couriers and tradespeople .

If your job involves travelling with goods in your vehicle or you use a third-party to deliver goods that you are responsible for or selling to customers, it can be wise to consider being covered by goods in transit insurance.

If you transport goods yourself and you were to be involved in a crash, or your van was stolen while you stopped for a break or to fill up with petrol, then your damaged or stolen goods or equipment would be covered.

For example, if you’re a bathroom installer or kitchen fitter, you might transport the units, tiles and so on yourself to your client’s property. If your van is broken into while you’re on your way to the client’s property, goods in transit insurance can cover the costs of the stolen materials.

Without good in transit insurance, you could be liable for the costs of repairing or replacing the goods, if an accident or theft occurred which can be costly.

If you’re using a third-party to deliver goods, it’s unlikely that your goods will be covered under their business insurance. It’s worth speaking to them beforehand to check this.

Why choose Markel Direct for goods in transit insurance?  

Here are just some of the reasons why you can trust us as your goods in transit insurance provider:

✔ Get a quote in under 2 minutes
We know you’re busy running a business which is why we’ve made getting a quote simple. Complete our short online form for a quick quote in as little as 90 seconds.

✔ No hidden fees
We believe that our policies are excellent value for money, and with our transparent pricing, you won’t face any hidden fees.

✔ Highly rated on
Our customer reviews speak for themselves. Read our impressive customer ratings on

✔ Personalised cover
We know that your business is unique and a one-size-fits all approach won’t cut it when it comes to your insurance. That’s why we provide tailored cover to fit your specific needs.

✔ 24/7 legal helpline
For any legal information and guidance you need, our round-the-clock legal helpline run by experienced solicitors is there to help.

How much does goods in transit insurance cost?

At Markel Direct, we offer goods in transit insurance at one set price of £5 a month, regardless of your profession. Get a quote today using our quick and easy online quote system.

*Price based on a builder requiring £2,000 of goods in transit insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £5 a month

What other types of insurance can protect my business?

  • Public liability insurance

    If your job involves dealing with members of the public or visiting clients at their premises, public liability insurance can be an important type of cover to consider.

    If a client or a member of the public suffers injury due to the actions of your business or you accidently damage their property while working, public liability insurance would cover any legal fees and compensation owed, if they made a claim against you. Levels of cover range from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    If you have any employees, even if it’s on a temporary or part-time basis, employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement. If an employee suffers an injury or illness because of the work they do for you, and they make a claim against you for it, employers’ liability insurance will protect you financially.

    By law, you must have at least £5 million worth of employers’ liability insurance. At Markel Direct, we provide cover of up to £10 million.

  • Tools insurance

    If your tools are damaged, lost or stolen, tools insurance can cover the cost of replacing or repairing them. At Markel Direct, we offer cover limits of between £1,000 and £5,000.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance is of particular value to tradesman and those working in manual jobs. If you suffer an injury at work or while on your way to or from work that stops you from being able to do your job, this type of insurance can provide you with an income. This can be either weekly payments or a lump sum, depending on the type of injury you sustain.

  • Owned plant insurance

    If you own plant machinery that is damaged or stolen, owned plant insurance will cover the costs of repairing or replacing the equipment. Cover limits are available from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Hired plant insurance

    If you hire in plant machinery and equipment from a leasing company, for example concrete mixers or forklifts, hired in plant insurance will cover you if the machinery is damaged or stolen. Cover limits range from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Designed for builders and other tradespeople, contract works insurance covers the work you do on a construction site. If your work is affected by a flood or fire, or by theft or malicious damage, contract works insurance can protect you financially.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance protects you if you provide professional services, advice or designs to your clients. If a client accuses you of making a mistake in your service and makes a claim against you, this policy will pay your legal fees and compensation owed if you are found to be at fault. We offer professional indemnity insurance, with cover up to £1 million.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What does goods in transit insurance cover?

    Goods in transit insurance will provide cover for:

    • Theft whilst in transit
    • Damage caused by an accident during transit
    • Loss during transit
    • Damage caused during transit.

    If any of the above scenarios occur, your insurance will pay out to cover the cost of repairing or replacing the damaged or stolen goods.

  • Is goods in transit insurance required by law?

    Goods in transit insurance is not required by law. However, you are responsible for your clients goods and property while they are in your possession. If these are lost or damaged, you could face an expensive claim that you’ll have to pay out of your own pocket if you’re not properly insured.

  • Will goods in transit insurance cover my vehicle?

    Goods in transit insurance, insures the goods being transported only and not the vehicle itself. For this, you would need a separate vehicle insurance policy to cover any damage to the vehicle or theft.

  • How do I make a claim?

    With our award-winning claims service, making a claim is simple. For guidance on to make a claim, visit our claims page.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. Visit the Financial Services Register to learn more.

Access free legal services for your trades business when you arrange cover with Markel:

Insure with Markel and you'll get access to a wide range of services (included as standard with certain covers) designed to make your life easier.

Legal helpline 24 hour legal advice helpline 

When you insure with Markel, you'll benefit from 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no additional cost. Expert legal advice can be costly when you're working for yourself and it's difficult to know who to turn to for a trustworthy answer. Whether it's a question on health and safety, employment law, legal structures for your business or how to handle a difficult client, an experienced team of solicitors are on hand day and night to help you with any business-related legal queries. Included as standard with all policies.

Markel Business Hub access Markel Business Hub access

In addition to our 24 hour legal helpline, you'll have access to the Markel Law Hub - an award winning online resource of legal and business guides, templates and content written and created by our team of expert solicitors. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance you can use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees. Included as standard with all policies.

Fee dispute service Fee dispute service

As every contractor, consultant or self-employed professional knows, customers don't always pay on time and chasing fees/invoices costs time and money. Mindful of the impact this has on your business, we offer our policyholders access to a unique fee dispute helpline operated by one of the UK's leading law firms, who will provide specialist legal guidance and support on fee dispute issues. Included as standard with professional indemnity insurance.

Discounted IR35 contract reviews Discounted IR35 contract reviews

Falling within IR35 legislation - which determines whether an individual is avoiding tax by using a limited company to disguise employment - is a concern for many engineering contractors and consultants, with the fees and penalties due to HMRC eye-wateringly high. Our policyholders receive an exclusive discount on IR35 contract reviews from Markel Tax (a Markel company), who have over 20 years experience advising individuals and businesses on their tax status. As part of the service, Markel Tax will review your contract, along with your working practices, to determine whether or not you are operating outside of IR35, and you'll receive a written report with suggested contract amendments where appropriate. Policyholders can access this service by calling 0345 223 2727 or emailing, quoting 'MKLD' and your policy number.

Public relations crisis management service Public relations crisis management service

In today's 24 hour news culture, public relations disasters can occur at any time. Having to deal with the press whilst managing a difficult situation can be hugely stressful as well as being a potential minefield. When there is a risk to your business as a result of negative press attention, our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, will work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. Included as standard with professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

Cover starting from £5 a month