Plumbers insurance

Specialist insurance for plumbers from just £7.50 a month.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist plumber's insurance, offered by Caunce O’Hara (a division of Markel), has been tailored to provide expert cover to self-employed plumbers. Whether you’re fixing a leaky tap in someone’s home or you’re working on a contract in an office space, our insurance will ensure you’re protected.

What is plumbers’ insurance?

Plumbers’ insurance is designed to protect you against the unexpected.

If, for example, you accidentally damage a client’s property while completing a job or someone is injured during the course of your work, plumbers' insurance cover will protect your business against the legal costs and compensation payments that may be payable.

Get a quote now

Why do plumbers need insurance?

No matter how experienced a plumber you are, accidents can happen when you’re least expecting them. Markel’s plumber insurance covers a variety of situations, for instance if you were fixing a client’s heating system and ruined their carpet with dirty water, or if while you were working on a job, your employee sustained an injury and needed medical attention.

These scenarios could lead to a client or employee taking legal action against you for the cost of fixing the issue or for compensation, which could leave you paying out large sums of money if you don’t have insurance cover in place.

Our plumber’s insurance can cover you against these unwanted scenarios and many more, providing you with peace of mind in knowing that if something does go wrong, you'll be covered.

What does plumbers’ insurance cover?

Plumbers’ insurance covers a range of circumstances, depending on the policies you buy, including:

Property damage
During a visit to a domestic property, you accidentally scratch a tiled floor with one of your tools. Your client pursues you for the cost of having the floor repaired.

You have your equipment laid out nearby as you work. Your client trips and falls over your equipment causing a fracture to their wrist.

As well as clients, if you have an employee, they are also at risk of sustaining an injury while working for you. For example, if they hit their head while working in a confined space. This could leave you paying for medical costs, legal costs, loss of income and any other damages.

Tools and trade materials theft or damage
While your tools are in your van parked outside a client’s home, your van is broken into and many of the tools essential to your job are stolen. To replace all of them at once could leave you penniless.

Get a quote now

How to buy plumbers insurance

Get your quote in minutes today. Provided by our insurance partners at Caunce O’Hara, all you’ll need to do is fill in a few details about your business using their fast and simple online quote form.

From there you’ll be able to select the types of insurance you’re interested in and receive a personalised quote.

If you are happy with your quote and would like to purchase your insurance, you can get covered immediately or up to 30 days in advance.

How much does plumbers’ insurance cost?

The price of plumber's insurance will vary depending on a number of factors including the types of cover you purchase, the level of cover you require and the size of your business.

Provided by our insurance partners at Caunce O’Hara, plumbers insurance starts from only £7.50 per month.

There are no hidden fees or cancellations fees if you wish to cancel a policy.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £7.50 a month

Choose a plumbers insurance policy to suit you

  • Public liability insurance


    If a member of the public, client or supplier is injured during the course of your work, plumbers public liability insurance will cover the cost of defending your business.

    Plumber liability insurance will also cover property damage caused by your business activities, for example if you were installing a water system in a newly renovated home and accidently knocked over an ornament or damaged bathroom units.

    Your legal costs and any compensation payments due if you are found to be at fault will be covered by public liability insurance. If you work on a contract with a big client, your client may insist on you having public liability insurance in place before work can commence.

    Working in clients' homes and around different people every day, public liability insurance for plumbers is often considered important.

    Limits range from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employer’s liability insurance


    If you have any employees, whether they are temporary or permanent employers’ liability insurance, with a minimum of £5 million cover, is a legal requirement. This cover protects against injury or illness claims from employees which have occurred due to their employment at your company. This could include an employee suffering a severe burn or hitting their head while working on a job.

    If you employ any staff, Employers’ liability insurance is essential.

    Limits range from £5 million to £10 million.

  • Portable equipment insurance (Tools insurance)


    Your tools such as your hammer, pliers, wrenches and saw are vital to your job. If they are misplaced, stolen or damaged, it could stop you from working.

    While your tools might be secure at home in the evening, when you’re working in clients homes or on site, it becomes more difficult to ensure that your equipment is always safe.

    With portable equipment insurance, the cost of replacing your equipment is covered, helping you to get back to work sooner.

    Limits range from £1,000 to £5,000.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance will pay your legal costs and expenses for the following:

    • Contract disputes
    • Tax enquiry (including IR35)
    • Attending jury service
    • Dealing with debt recovery
    • Personal injury
    • Employment disputes

    It will also cover you if a client takes legal action against you for a mistake you have made, preventing you from having to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

    If for example an employee accuses you of unfair dismissal, legal expenses insurance will cover the cost of your defence and any compensation that might be owed if your case is unsuccessful.

    Another example of where legal expenses insurance can cover you is if a client doesn’t pay you for your work, which unfortunately is something self-employed professionals commonly experience.

    The limit of indemnity for legal expenses insurance is £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    If you store any data related to your business or clients, you could be at risk of a cyber-attack. Cyber and data risks insurance can help to cover the financial costs resulting from a cyber-attack. This could include:

    -       Restoring client data and IT equipment

    -       Informing relevant stakeholders of the attack

    -       Meeting ransom demands

    -       Loss of net profits for the client

    Cyber and data risks insurancewill cover the legal costs and financial penalties that you may face after a cyber attack. This for example could involve client data being hacked after you accidently opened a link on a phishing email.

    If you store any confidential data on your electronic devices including mobile, tablet, laptop or desktop, this cover may be worth considering.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at just £7.50 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I need to arrange plumbers' insurance to start work – do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. We provide a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document (detailing the cover you have with us) as part of the documents that are emailed to you when you purchase your policy with us. If you work on contracts with other businesses, you can present this document to clients as proof that you are insured.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Industry bodies and individual clients (if you work on contracts with businesses rather than individuals) will have different regulatory requirements which may determine the minimum levels of cover you need to begin a contract. Before arranging cover with us, it may be worth checking this.

    If you work in individuals’ homes or for smaller businesses where none of your clients specify the cover you need, or you have never arranged cover before, give some thought to a worst-case scenario to work out the most likely risks you face in your business, and how much it would cost to sort out the issue.

    With our insurance there are a range of cover limits, giving you the flexibility to create the cover that’s right for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?


    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0333 242 8215 or get a quick quote online.

  • How do I make a claim?

    We do everything we can to make our claims process as hassle-free and painless as possible. Visit our claims page to find out how to make a claim and read about our award-winning claims service.

  • How are Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you’ll find on the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your plumbing business when you purchase legal expenses insurance including:

  • 24hr legal helpline.
  • 800+ DIY legal resources including contracts, policies, forms, and letter templates from Markel’s solicitors.
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists, and useful links.
  • 460+ straight-forward guides.
  • 350+ links to key resources.
  • Up-to-date information on new legislation and case-law.
  • Live Chat available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00.

Discover more about these services here.

Cover starting at just £7.50 a month