Dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance

Specialist cover for dance teachers of all styles from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • 24hr legal advice helpline and legal hub

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

As a specialist insurance company with over 25 years experience, we have an unrivalled knowledge of the risks facing your profession and our specialist dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance offers expert cover.

Why do dance teachers need insurance?

Teaching dance classes can carry a whole host of risks. An allegation of unprofessional teaching, a student injuring themselves following negligent advice, or a fire at your studio could be devastating for your business. Our insurance for dance instructors and performing arts teachers can cover your business against these risks and many more.

We insure dance professionals teaching all kinds of styles, from zumba, tango and tap through to salsa, ballet and ballroom, as well as a wide variety of performing arts professionals.

What does dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance cover?

Unlike many insurance schemes for dance tutors, we can help you tailor your policy to the needs of your dance or performing arts business.

Dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance from Markel Direct can cover a range of risks including:

  • Allegations of poor teaching: such as a parent taking legal action you if a student doesn't achieve the expected results
  • Allegations of injury caused to a third party: for example, a student slipping over a water spillage
  • Damage caused to third party property: for example, you accidentally damage a client’s phone while demonstrating a dance routine

For more information, read our guide to dance teacher insurance.

Our simple quote system asks about your business activities and offers you covers that may be of interest, so you will only ever pay for the cover you need.

Get a quote now

Am I covered to teach remotely?

When you arrange cover with Markel Direct, your policy automatically provides cover for training clients remotely, including using an audio or video service such as Zoom or Skype. Please note that your sessions/instruction must be done on a live basis and to your client (or clients, if part of a group session) only.

How much does dance teacher insurance cost?

Dance teacher insurance and performing arts instructor insurance from Markel Direct starts from £5 per month.

The price of dance instructor insurance will depend on the size of your business (whether it's just you, or you have several teachers), the level of cover you buy and the number of covers you select.

If you experience a change in circumstances and you need to cancel your policy with us, there are no hidden fees or cancellations fees. We provide all clients with immediate proof of cover, giving you instant protection and allowing you to get started with your teaching right away.

How to buy dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance

We’ve made buying your dance teacher insurance simple. With our online quote form, you’ll be asked a few quick questions about you and your business, and can then choose the covers you would like to include in your policy.

You can spread the cost of your insurance over 10 interest free monthly payments, or alternatively pay it in one sum.

Get an online quote in just 90 seconds to find out how little it costs to cover your business!

*Price is based on a dance teacher requiring occupational personal accident insurance with £25,000 of cover for permanent total disablement and £100 a week cover for temporary total disablement.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Build your dance teacher insurance policy

  • Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

    Public liability and professional indemnity insurance offers comprehensive protection against the cost of defending your dance business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving incorrect instruction to a student) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    In addition, it covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business. Examples of claims include:

    • You instruct a student how to perform a dance move, but they fall awkwardly while trying to perform it and hurt themselves. They take legal action against you, alleging you did not explain how to perform the move safely.
    • A child fails to make the progress expected of them and the parent alleges favouritism of other students is to blame. They take legal action against you, alleging that your services were inadequate.
    • A student slips on an unsecured dance floor during a routine and breaks their wrist. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.
    • A parent suffers an injury from a falling roof tile while attending their child’s dance class. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.

    This cover is generally considered essential for dance teachers of all descriptions, particularly those renting a community hall or gym studio to carry out their sessions. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment.

    An example of a claim would be:

    • An employee trips over a cable leading to a sound system and injures themselves. They are unable to work as a result and take legal action against you for the injury suffered.

    If you have any employees, even on a part time basis, you need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. Sounds systems, laptops and mobiles phones can all be at risk during sessions and it's worth considering covering these items if you use them for your business. You can also choose to cover your business equipment on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to a property.

  • Occupational personal accident

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14 day deferment period).

    In the event of loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death, a lump sum would be paid out.

    Due to the physical nature of the work, many dance teachers experience injuries in the course of their profession, and occupational personal accident insurance can help you maintain an income if you were unable to work following an occupational accident.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance pays the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit following a cyber attack. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. If you hold confidential information about your students, their progress and the classes they take on computers and other internet connected devices, you should give consideration to this cover.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Am I covered to work with clients remotely?

    Yes. Your insurance policy automatically provides cover for working with clients remotely, including using an audio or video service such as Zoom or Skype.

    Many of our customers have begun doing this as a way of continuing business and retaining clients during the COVID-19 pandemic, and you do not need to contact us to include it on your policy.

    Please note that your sessions/instruction must be done on a live basis and to your client (or clients, if part of a group session) only. Your policy does not provide cover for pre-recorded videos that are uploaded to a video platform (e.g. YouTube) for anyone to access.

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • I teach lessons at different venues - is this covered?

    Yes. Regardless of where you teach - for example, at dance studios, village halls and gyms - you'll be covered under our policy.

  • I teach different types of dance - is this covered?

    Yes. We don't restrict the types of dance you teach so if, for example, you teach ballroom to some clients and salsa to others, you'll be covered by our policy.

  • Does the policy cover performances or shows?

    Yes - we are able to cover performances (such as end of term shows or performances for the community) provided there are less than 500 attendees. However, we are unable to provide cover for dance competitions.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits on insurance, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access useful services for your dance business - at no extra cost

As a specialist insurer of thousands of dance teachers and tutors, our policyholders receive exclusive access to unique business services designed to make your life easier (included as standard with certain sections of cover).

24 hour legal helpline  24 hour legal advice helpline

When you insure with Markel, you'll benefit from 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no additional cost. Expert legal advice can be costly when you're working for yourself and it's difficult to know who to turn to for a trustworthy answer. Whether it's a question on health and safety, employment law, legal structures for your business or how to handle a difficult client, an experienced team of solicitors are on hand day and night to help you with any business-related legal queries. Included as standard with all policies.

Legal hub access Markel Business Hub access

In addition to our 24 hour legal helpline, you'll have access to the Markel Business Hub - an award winning online resource of legal and business guides, templates and content written and created by our team of expert solicitors. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance you can use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees. Included as standard with all policies.

  Fee dispute service

Chasing fees and invoices costs time and money and is a pain felt by every dance teacher. We offer our policyholders access to a unique fee dispute helpline operated by one of the UK's leading law firms, who will provide specialist legal guidance and support on fee dispute issues. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

  Public relations crisis management service

In today's 24 hour news culture, public relations disasters can occur at any time - particularly for those teaching dance to children. Having to deal with the press whilst managing a difficult situation can be hugely stressful as well as being a potential minefield. When there is a risk to your business as a result of negative press attention, our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, will work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

  Cyber response helpline

If you're the victim of a targeted cyber attack, our cyber response helpline provides access to specialist solicitors and information security experts who will give expert legal and technical IT security guidance on the issues arising from cyber and data protection risks. Included as standard with cyber and data risks insurance.

Cover starting at £5 a month