Office insurance

Specialist office and business equipment insurance tailored to you from as little as £6 a month

  • Fast, easy online quote in just 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

An unforeseen event at your office could have a serious impact on your business.

A fire, for example, could destroy thousands of pounds worth of computer equipment, cause structural damage to the building and leave you with no premises for months. Our office insurance could cover you for these risks and more.

We offer a range of office insurance, including buildings and contents cover, business equipment cover and and business interruption cover - to comprehensively protect your property against a multitude of risks. Each can be tailored to meet the individual needs of your business and our fast and easy quote system allows you to choose the cover you want at a premium you can afford.

  • Buildings and contents insurance covers your office premises against accidental damage (including theft and damage caused by disasters such as fire, flood, explosion or storm) to office buildings, office contents and computer equipment. Few businesses could survive an incident that destroyed their premises and contents, so give this cover careful consideration (please note that buildings insurance is not available for homeworkers, but you can cover your home office contents).

  • Business equipment insurance covers against loss, theft and accidental damage to vital equipment that you take with you while undertaking your business' activities, including laptops, smartphones, tablets and projectors.

  • Business interruption insurance covers any loss of income (or increased costs of working) if you are unable to work from your usual business premises. This cover could save your business thousands of pounds if you have to be re-sited during repairs or if you cannot fulfil your contractual obligations.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.7 stars from 396 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Is my equipment covered away from my premises?

    We can insure your equipment away from your premises - simply enter the value you would like insured on the quote form next the question 'What is the value of office contents and/or business equipment which you wish to insure whilst in the confines of your office and outside of your office?'

  • Do I need business interruption cover?

    An often overlooked cover, business interruption cover protects against the financial losses you would incur (or additional costs in working) as a result of an interruption to your business' activities.

    An example would be if your workplace was flooded. A flooded building can take months to dry out, and, as a result, you would have to find an alternative workplace. This could have a severe financial impact on your business' operations - including the additional costs involved in renting an alternative premises, or losing out on projects you can't complete because you aren't based in your normal workplace.

    In short, if you feel your business would struggle to survive an interruption to its normal activities, you should give serious consideration to business interruption insurance.

  • What's the excess?

    £250 is the excess for all office insurance covers.

  • Is my equipment covered if I leave it in my car?

    Yes, provided that:

    • The property is concealed in a locked boot or stowage area within the vehicle
    • All points of access to the vehicle are securely locked and security devices put in full and proper operation
    • Force is used to gain entry to the vehicle and such entry causes external and visible damage to the vehicle
  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    Established over 25 years ago, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing contractors, consultants, freelancers and self-employed professionals, and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and you can view our details on the Financial Services Register. We're a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premiums of £850m ($1.05 billion) in 2016.

    We're proud to have been named Claims Team of the Year at the Commercial Insurance Awards 2016. We know how much disruption a claim can bring to your life, which is why we aim to deal with all claims fairly and swiftly.

    Still not sure? Call us on 0800 640 6600 - one of our insurance experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and talk you through the insurance we offer so you can choose the right cover for your business. Alternatively, get an online quote in 90 seconds now and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Cover starting at just £5 a month

More specialist cover

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and any compensation or damages subsequently awarded against you. This is essential insurance if you provide advice, designs or services to your client. Cover is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds. This is an important cover for consultants that regularly deal with clients or members of the public. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If you employ staff, even on a part time basis, you almost certainly need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £25,000 to £5m.

  • Occupational personal accident

    Occupational personal accident insurance can help you maintain an income if you're accidentally injured at work.

  • Legal representation and employment disputes insurance

    Legal representation and employment disputes insurance pays your legal and representation costs together with any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute, and also pays costs and expenses for certain crisis management, identity fraud, official investigation (excluding HM Revenue and Customs), corporate manslaughter, pollution and data protection issues.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance helps you when you're the victim of a targeted cyber attack, paying the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Free from mobile & landline