Photographers insurance

Specialist cover for photographers from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • 24hr legal advice helpline and legal hub

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

For over 25 years Markel has offered photographer insurance to photographers of all specialisms. Whether you’re helping clients make lasting memories or shooting products for an online business, photographers insurance can keep your business protected should the worst happen.

Our experience gives us unrivalled knowledge of the risks facing your profession and our policies are designed to protect you from them.

What kind of photographers are covered?

We’ve helped photographers of all types to safeguard their business by taking out specialist cover. Types of photographers we insure include:

  • Wedding photographers
  • Commercial photographers
  • Freelance photographers
  • Fashion photographers
  • Sports Photographers
  • And many more

If your livelihood relies on the click of a camera, we can help.

Are you a videographer? Find out more about videographer insurance.

What insurance do photographers need?

Having equipment insurance for photographers in place can cover against loss, theft and damage, but few realise the importance of other types of insurance cover. Regardless of whether you work as a full time professional or as a part-time freelancer, without the right photographer liability insurance cover in place, your business could face financial challenges following a claim.

Why do photograpers need insurance?

An allegation of a ruined wedding because of poor photographs or damage caused to hired property during a photo shoot could see you have to settle a claim for thousands of pounds out of your own back pocket.

Our photographer insurance can provide cover against such scenarios, as well as giving you the option to insure your camera and other photography equipment against loss, theft, accidental damage and more. Whether you’re a new photographer or someone more experienced who covers sports events, public liability insurance for photographers will cover you in any unexpected situation.

How to get photographers insurance

Our simple quote form can provide you with an online quote for photographers insurance in less than 90 seconds, and you can tailor your policy online to include only the cover you want.

How much is insurance for a photography business?

With cover starting at £5 a month and the option to pay by interest free direct debit, you're sure to find comprehensive photographers insurance that's right for your business. Get an online quote now!

We’ve also created a guide for you to find out more about photographer’s insurance.

*Price based on a photographer requiring £25,000 of directors and officers liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Tailor your insurance with these covers

  • Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

    Public liability and professional indemnity insurance offers comprehensive protection against the cost of defending you against allegations of professional negligence (such as failing to provide an acceptable level of photography to a client) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    In addition, it covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business. Examples of claims include:

    • You carry out a wedding shoot for a client but the memory card corrupts and you lose all the photos. The client brings a claim against you for the cost of a reshoot.
    • You carry out a shoot for a commercial client but you fail to capture key elements the client requested. They take legal action against you for the cost of a replacement photographer and shoot.
    • A wedding guest trips over your tripod, injures themselves and ruins an expensive dress. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation and send you an invoice for the cost of replacing the dress.
    • A client trips over a cable at a shoot and injures themselves. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.
    • A venue alleges that your tripod has scratched an expensive floor and sends you an invoice for the costs to repair it.

    This cover is vital for photographers of all styles, and many venues or clients will require you to have cover in place before letting you start work. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment.

    An example of a claim would be:

    • While on location, your assistant slips and breaks their ankle. They make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation

    Cover for £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. If your photography business is a limited company, you may want to consider this cover. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office and equipment cover

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your camera equipment under our business equipment section; you'll have the option to insure your vital equipment, including laptops, mobile phones and expensive design software on a worldwide basis. If your photography business is a full time job, we can insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events, such as a flood or fire at your home, that cause interruption to your work.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14 day deferment period).

    In the event of loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death, a lump sum would be paid out.

    If you were injured in the course of your work as a photographer, and would struggle to maintain an income if you were unable to work following the accident, you should consider having occupational personal accident insurance to help ease the financial burden.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance pays the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit following a cyber attack. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. If you hold confidential information about your clients (including their photographs and backups) on computers and other internet connected devices, you should give consideration to this cover.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I do shoots in both studios and on location - am I covered for both?

    Yes. Many of our clients undertake shoots in their own/a rented studio as well as on location and our photography insurance covers this.

  • I do more than one type of photography - is this covered?

    Yes. We don't restrict the types of photography you do so if, for example, you split your time between shooting portraits during the week and weddings at the weekend, you'll be covered by our policy.

  • Is my photography equipment insured if I leave it in my car?

    Yes, provided that:

    • The property is concealed in a locked boot or stowage area within the vehicle
    • All points of access to the vehicle are securely locked and security devices put in full and proper operation
    • Force is used to gain entry to the vehicle and such entry causes external and visible damage to the vehicle
  • Does the policy cover the use of drones?

    No. We are currently unable to cover the use of drones or other types of aerial vehicle as part of your business' activities.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits on insurance for photographers, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access these exclusive services with your policy

In addition to the specialist cover you'll receive for your photography business, we offer our customers exclusive access to a range of services (included as standard with the relevant section of cover) - designed to help make your life easier.

24 hour legal helpline  24 hour legal advice helpline

When you insure with Markel, you'll benefit from 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no additional cost. Expert legal advice can be costly when you're working for yourself and it's difficult to know who to turn to for a trustworthy answer. Whether it's a question on health and safety, employment law, legal structures for your business or how to handle a difficult client, an experienced team of solicitors are on hand day and night to help you with any business-related legal queries. Included as standard with all policies.

Legal hub access Markel Business Hub access

In addition to our 24 hour legal helpline, you'll have access to the Markel Business Hub - an award winning online resource of legal and business guides, templates and content written and created by our team of expert solicitors. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance you can use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees. Included as standard with all policies.

  Fee dispute service

Managing cashflow is a challenge for all photographers and chasing unpaid invoices or fees wastes valuable time when you could be working. We offer our policyholders access to a unique fee dispute helpline operated by one of the UK's leading law firms, who will provide specialist legal guidance and support on fee dispute issues. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

  Public relations crisis management service

Public relations disasters can occur at any time, particularly when something goes wrong following an emotionally charged event, such as a weddings or party. When there is a risk to your business as a result of negative press attention, our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, will work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

  Cyber response helpline

If your photography business is the victim of a targeted cyber attack, our cyber response helpline provides access to specialist solicitors and information security experts who will give expert legal and technical IT security guidance on the issues arising from cyber and data protection risks. Included as standard with cyber and data risks insurance.

Cover starting at £5 a month