Fidelity insurance

Protect your charity, club, group or society from dishonesty or fraud from £6 a month*

  • Fast & easy online quote - be covered today

  • Help from charity insurance experts

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist fidelity insurance can protect your charity, club or community group against fraud, theft or dishonesty by volunteers or employees.

Whilst the vast majority of employees and volunteers at organisations hold the highest levels of integrity, there has been a steady increase in the number of fraudulent and dishonest acts at charities, clubs and groups, mainly by individuals in a position of authority or responsibility. 

Common examples include fabricating invoices, false expense claims, petty cash theft and stealing collection tins. These often occur in small amounts initially and build up over time, resulting in a significant hole in your organisation's finances.

*Price based on a community group requiring £50,000 of fidelity insurance.

Our fidelity insurance pays for losses you incur as a result of:

  • Loss of money or goods arising from the dishonest or fraudulent acts of your employees

  • Loss of property or funds through computer fraud or fraudulent transfer instructions (other than employees)

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Third Sector Awards headline sponsor Carers Trust are our supported charity

Cover starting at £3 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Do I need fidelity insurance?

    Whilst it may be unpleasant to consider, individuals in positions of authority at community organisations can abuse their position for the own personal gain if inadequate processes are in place. The Charity Commission has even provided guidance on the topic of charity fraud.

    Fidelity insurance can pay losses you incur as a result of the dishonesty or fraudulent acts of employees or volunteers - including theft, fraud and dishonesty.

  • What kind of claims does fidelity insurance cover against?

    Fidelity insurance claims can be wide-ranging, but some examples are given below:

    Fabricated invoices
    The treasurer of your organisation is found to have been fabricated invoices from a existing supplier, but changing the bank details on the document to their own personal account. Fidelity insurance pays for the losses your organisation has incurred from this act.

    False expense claims
    An employee at your organisation is found to have submitted false expense claims for travel, meals and materials for fundraising events. Fidelity insurance pays for the losses your organisation has incurred from this act.

    Theft of collection tins
    A voluntee at your organisation is found to have stolen collection tins totalling thousands of pounds in contributions - however they have already spent the money, so it cannot be recovered. Fidelity insurance pays for the losses your organisation has incurred from this act.

  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    Established over 25 years ago, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing small charities and community groups, and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    We actively support the third sector. Since 2008, we have donated more than £150,000 to our supported charity, Carers Trust, and have supported numerous charity awards including the Third Sector Excellence Awards and Britain's Best Volunteer in partnership with Small Charities Coalition.

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of $1.2 billion in 2018.

    Still not sure? Call us on 0800 640 6604 - one of our insurance experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and talk you through the insurance we offer so you can choose the right cover for your charity or group. Alternatively, get a quote now and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

  • We don't have a regular meeting place - can you insure us?

    Yes. We cover hundreds of small charities, community groups and clubs that don't have a regular meeting place and instead rotate between different venues, such as members' homes, village halls and community centres.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.


Cover starting at £3 a month


Cover starting at £3 a month

More specialist cover

  • Public liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds. If you regularly visit client premises as part of your consulting activities, you may need this cover. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and any compensation or damages subsequently awarded against you. This is essential insurance if you provide advice, designs or services to your client. Cover is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If you employ staff, even on a part time basis, you almost certainly need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Free from mobile & landline