Plasterers insurance

Specialist insurance for plasterers from £8 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

You wouldn’t consider starting a plastering job without the right equipment. Arranging insurance for your plastering business is no different.

Whether you work on small domestic projects or large-scale commercial jobs, you may need to conisder getting the right financial protection in place. From accidents and injuries to the damage or theft of equipment and materials, you face a variety of risks.

At Markel, we offer superb value business insurance for plasterers that will help you to protect your finances and give you added peace of mind. 

What is plasterers’ insurance?

Plasterers’ insurance is an umbrella term that describes a package of cover designed to protect businesses like yours. It can include everything from public and employers’ liability cover to professional indemnity insurance and protection for your tools. 

Get a quote now

Do I need plasterers’ insurance?

One of the best things about being a plasterer is the fact that no two jobs are exactly the same, and every day brings new opportunities and challenges. But with this variety comes a wide range of risk that could affect your finances. What if a member of the public trips over your tools and injures themselves, or you accidentally damage a customer’s property?

You should ask yourself if you could afford to cover the legal fees and compensation costs you may face in cases like these. Or perhaps your tools are stolen or damaged, leaving you with the cost of repairing or replacing them. Could you pay for these expenses out of your own pocket?

If situations like these would put you under financial strain, you’ll need suitable insurance to mitigate the risk. Also, bear in mind that some prospective customers might insist you have public liability insurance for plasterers in place before they will hire you for a job. And if you have any employees, you’re required by law to have a minimum of £5 million of employers’ liability cover in place.

Having the right package of plasterers’ insurance in place could help you to safeguard the future of your business.

Why choose Markel for plasterers’ insurance?

At Markel, we offer tailored plasterers’ insurance policies that could be ideal for your business. Here are just some of the reasons to choose us.

✔ Excellent value for money

 We pride ourselves on our competitive premiums. And when you buy cover from us, you’ll benefit from total pricing transparency, meaning you won’t face any unexpected costs.

✔ Quick and easy online quotes

Getting a quote from us couldn’t be easier. Simply fill in our online form and receive a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

✔ Access to a round-the-clock legal helpline

So that you have expert information and guidance on hand whenever you need it, we provide a 24/7 legal helpline run by experienced solicitors.

✔ Great customer reviews

At Markel, we pride ourselves on our commitment to offering the highest levels of customer service. Check out our reviews on to see for yourself.

✔ An insurer you can rely on

With more than 25 years of experience in providing business insurance to self-employed professionals, we’re ideally placed to provide you with the cover you need.

How much does plasterers’ insurance cost?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to plasterers’ insurance. The amount you pay for your cover will depend on a variety of factors. These include the size of your business, the types of projects you work on and whether you have employees.

Plasterers insurance from Markel Direct starts at £8 a month.

To find out how much your cover may cost, simply get a quote today. 

*Price based on a plasterer requiring £1 million public liability insurance cover.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £8 a month

What insurance do plasterers need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance for plasterers protects you from claims made by members of the public who have suffered an injury or property damage because of the actions of your business. We offer this type of plasterers’ liability insurance with cover limits ranging from £1 million to £5 million. 
    Example of a claim:
    You’re plastering a customer’s kitchen ceiling and accidentally scratch newly fitted tiles with your finishing trowel. The customer seeks compensation to repair the damage.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance protects you if an employee is injured or made ill by the work they do for you. You’re required by law to have a minimum of £5 million of employers’ liability cover in place if you have employees, even if they are part-time or temporary. At Markel, we provide up to £10 million in employers’ liability cover.
    Example of a claim:
    One of your workers is on a ladder plastering a ceiling. They lose their balance and fall to the floor, suffering a broken arm and other injuries. They sue you for compensation.

  • Tools insurance

    Tools insurance covers the cost of having to replace or repair tools that are stolen, lost or damaged. At Markel, we offer cover limits ranging from £1,000 to £5,000.

    Example of a claim:

    There is a fire at a building site you are working on, causing severe damage to some of your most important tools. You must replace these items in order to be able to continue working.


  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides support for your income if you can’t work because of an injury you suffer while doing your job, or while on your way to or from work. It provides either weekly payments or a lump sum, depending on the nature of your injuries.

  • Owned plant insurance

    If you own plant machinery that is damaged or stolen, owned plant insurance will cover the costs of repairing or replacing the equipment. Cover limits are available from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Hired plant insurance

    Hired in plant insurance will cover you if plant machinery you have hired is damaged or stolen, while in your possession. Cover limits range from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Contract works insurance covers the work you do on a construction site. If your work is affected by a flood, fire, theft or malicious damage, contract works insurance can protect you financially.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    Goods in transit insurance covers goods against loss or damage while in transit. This can be either goods transported in your own vehicle, or on your behalf by a third-party carrier.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance protects you if a client alleges that you have made a mistake in a service you have provided to them. This cover may be important for your business if you offer professional services for a fee, for example if you provide advice or designs.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £8 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Is public liability insurance required by law?

    As a plasterer, you are not legally required to take out public liability insurance. However, you could face a compensation claim if a member of the public is injured or suffers damage to their property because of your actions. The resultant costs could be considerable, so it pays to have public liability insurance in place.

  • What insurance does a self-employed plasterer need?

    If you’re a self-employed plasterer, you can’t rely on an employer to take care of your insurance on your behalf; you must do this yourself. There are various types of cover you might need. For example, this could include public liability insurance, employers’ liability cover, property damage insurance and professional indemnity protection.

    If you’re unsure which types of protection you need, don’t hesitate to contact our team today. Our experts are available to offer information and advice.

  • When should I get plasterers’ insurance?

    We recommend getting plasterers’ insurance as soon as possible - and ideally before you start your first plastering job for a customer. You never know when disaster may strike, so it makes sense to be financially prepared from the outset.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. You can visit the Financial Services Register to find out more.

Access free legal services for your plastering business when you arrange cover with Markel, including:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

 Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting from £8 a month