Handyman Insurance

Specialist handyman insurance from £159 a year.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

No two days are the same when you’re working as a handyman. Every job brings different challenges and risks, meaning it’s essential that you have suitable insurance in place.

Whether you’re tiling a kitchen or painting a bedroom, accidents can happen. If they do, you’ll need insurance to protect your finances.

At Markel, we offer great value handyman business insurance policies that you can rely on.

What is handyman insurance?

Handyman insurance is designed to protect your business from a variety of risks. It can include different types of cover, such as public liability insurance, property damage cover, employers’ liability protection and more. Having the right handyman insurance will provide you with a valuable safety net, giving you support when you most need it.

Do I need handyman insurance?

Despite your skills and experience, with each project you undertake there’s always a chance that something will go wrong. You might damage a customer’s floor by dropping a heavy tool on itor perhaps a shelf you put up falls on a client and injures them. In cases like these, you could find yourself facing sizable compensation claims. Unless you could cover these expenses yourself, you’ll need public liability insurance to help protect your finances.

Also, some clients will ask for proof that you have handyman public liability insurance in place before they agree to hire you for a job.

There may be other types of insurance that you need too. For example, if you have employees, even temporary or part-time workers, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance in place. You might also want to protect your tools and materials by taking out insurance. If your equipment is damaged, lost or stolen, you could face significant costs to replace or repair it. Without suitable cover, this may put significant strain on your finances. 

Why choose Markel for handyman insurance?

 Here are just some of the reasons to choose Markel for your handyman insurance.

✔ Affordable cover and transparent pricing

Our insurance policies are superb value for money - and so that you’re never hit with unexpected costs, we make sure our pricing is fully transparent.

✔ Quick quotes

You won’t have to hang around to discover how much our insurance costs. Simply complete our online form and we’ll give you a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

✔24/7 legal helpline

You don’t want to have to wait to access legal advice. This is why we offer a 24/7 legal helpline run by experienced solicitors.

✔ A commitment to customer satisfaction

We put customer experience at the heart of everything we do, and this is reflected in our high ratings on Feefo.com.

✔ An insurer you can trust

With over 25 years’ experience in providing business insurance, we’re perfectly placed to give you the protection you need.

How much does handyman insurance cost?

The amount you will pay for handyman insurance depends on various factors, including the size of your business and the types of cover you need. At Markel, we offer policies starting from £159* a year. To find out how much you can expect to pay, simply get a quote today.

* Price based on a handyman requiring £1 million public liability insurance cover.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting from £159 a year

What insurance do I need as a handyman?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance is essential for many handymen. It protects you against claims made by members of the public who have their property damaged or are injured as a result of the actions of your business. We offer this type of handyman liability insurance with limits ranging from £1 million to £5 million.
    Example of a claim:
    A member of the public trips over your toolbox, suffering a fractured ankle. They make a compensation claim for their injuries.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    If you have workers, including part-time or casual labourers, you’re required by law to have employers’ liability insurance of at least £5 million. This protects you if an employee becomes ill or is injured because of the work they do for you. Our policies provide cover of up to £10 million.
    Example of a claim:
    A part-time labourer strains their back while carrying heavy tools. They take legal action against
    you in a bid to get compensation for their suffering, and for lost earnings.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance protects you if you’re involved in legal disputes such as debt recovery cases, contract disputes, personal injury claims and tax enquiries. We provide legal expenses cover with a limit of £100,000.

  • Cyber insurance

    Cyber insurance protects you if your IT systems are breached by a malicious attack. It pays the costs of meeting ransom demands, restoring data and equipment, informing clients and making up lost profits. It also covers legal fees and damages if parties affected by the breach seek compensation. 

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance supports your income if you can’t work because of an injury you have suffered at work or on your way to or from work. It provides either weekly payments or a lump sum, depending on the nature of your injury.

  • Money and personal assault insurance

    Money and personal assault insurance covers the loss or theft of money from your premises or while in transit. In addition, it includes financial protection for those who are injured during a robbery.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance is designed to protect you if you face allegations of acting wrongfully as a director or officer of your business. It covers the costs of defending yourself and damages that may be awarded against you. We offer cover limits ranging from £100,000 to £5 million.

  • Portable equipment insurance (Tools insurance)

    Portable equipment insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your tools if they are lost, stolen or damaged. Choose from cover limits ranging from £1,000 to £5,000.

    Example of a claim:

    The premises where you store your tools are broken into and a number of expensive pieces of equipment are stolen, leaving you facing the cost of replacement.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £159 a year

Frequently asked questions

  • Am I legally required to get handyman insurance?

    In general, handyman insurance is not a legal requirement. However, if you have employees, you are required by law to get employers’ liability insurance.

  • Do handymen need professional indemnity insurance?

    If you offer professional services for a fee (such as providing designs or advice), it is advisable to take out professional indemnity insurance. No matter how diligent you are, projects don’t always go to plan. If you make an error when providing professional services, you could face significant legal fees and compensation costs as a result.

  • When should I get handyman insurance?

    We advise you to take out handyman insurance before you take on your first job. Having cover in place from the outset will minimise the financial risks to your business and give you added peace of mind.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and Financial Conduct Authority. To find out more about this, visit the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your trades business when you purchase Legal Expenses insurance including:

  • 24hr legal helpline.
  • 800+ DIY legal resources including contracts, policies, forms, and letter templates from Markel’s solicitors.
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists, and useful links.
  • 460+ straight-forward guides.
  • 350+ links to key resources.
  • Up-to-date information on new legislation and case-law.
  • Live Chat available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00.

Discover more about these services here.

Cover starting from £159 a year