Occupational personal accident insurance

Helping you if you're unable to work due to a work-related injury from £5 a month*

Get a quote now
  • Fast, easy online quote in just 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

If you're unable to work as a result of an injury sustained at work (or travelling to and from work), our occupational personal accident insurance pays you weekly benefits (or a cash lump sum) to help support your income.

Accidents can happen at any time. A road traffic accident during your commute or falling at your workplace could result in a serious injury that results in you being unable to work for a prolonged period of time.

Our specialist occupational personal accident insurance can cover against such scenarios, providing weekly benefits or a cash lump sum (depending on the type of injury) to help support your income following your accident.

You can choose from a range of benefit options - from £100 to £400 per week for temporary total disablement, or £25k to £100k lump sum for permanent total disablement.

*£5 a month price is based on a dance teacher requiring occupational personal accident insurance with £25,000 of cover for permanent total disablement and £100 a week cover for temporary total disablement.

Cover is provided for:

  • Temporary total disablement (an injury that prevents you working temporarily)

  • Permanent total disablement (an injury that prevents you working permanently)

  • Loss of limbs

  • Loss of sight, speech or hearing

  • Death

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Policy Documents

Get a quote now

Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What kind of claims does occupational personal accident cover against?

    Occupational personal accident covers a wide range of situations when you are injured at work or while travelling to and from work, including

    • You are knocked off your bike while commuting to work, suffer a broken arm and are unable to work for 3 months. Occupational personal accident insurance pays you the weekly benefit stated in your policy  (subject to a two week deferment period).
    • You slip at work, suffer a serious injury to your leg and are unable to work for 6 months. Occupational personal accident insurance pays you the weekly benefit stated in your policy  (subject to a two week deferment period).
    • You are involved in a serious accident at work which results in you losing a limb. Occupational personal accident insurance pays the lump sum stated in your policy.

    View details

  • Do I need occupational personal accident insurance?

    If you would struggle to maintain an income following a work-based accident which resulted in you being unable to work for a period of time, you should give consideration to occupational personal accident insurance.

    It is particularly popular amongst contractors, consultants and other self-employed professionals that do not receive sick pay, as it can provide much-needed funds at a difficult time.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Give some thought to your current income, outgoings and savings, and whether you (and your dependents) would benefit from a weekly payment if you were unable to work suddenly.

    We offer a range of limits from £100 per week to £400 per week for temporary total disablement, or lump sums of £25k to £100k for those that experience permanent total disablement. You can tailor your limit to suit your individual requirements, meaning you'll only pay for the cover you've chosen.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at Feefo.com.

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Get a quote now

Cover starting at £5 a month

Get a quote now

Cover starting at £5 a month

More specialist cover

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and any compensation or damages subsequently awarded against you. This is essential insurance if you provide advice, designs or services to your client. Cover is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Public liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds. If you regularly visit client premises as part of your consulting activities, you may need this cover. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If you employ staff, even on a part time basis, you almost certainly need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £25,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. Limit of £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance helps you when you're the victim of a targeted cyber attack, paying the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly