Community and voluntary group insurance

Specialist cover for community and voluntary groups from £3 a month*

Arrange a callback
  • Fast & easy online quote - be covered today

  • Help from insurance experts

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Markel’s specialist community group insurance can provide comprehensive cover for risks facing community groups and associations, whether you represent a small charity, fundraising group, ‘friends of’ club or a children and youth centre.

Our community group insurance premiums start from £3 a month with the option to pay over 10 interest free instalments.

What is community group insurance?

Community insurance is specialist cover designed to protect organisations which have people meet up. If, for example, there was an accident during a fundraising event, a break in at your premises or an allegation of abuse by a service user, your group could face serious financial problems.

Here at Markel, we specialise in providing insurance for non-profit organisations and small charities. This means you can rest assured knowing that we understand the industry and the challenges that groups face. Our insurance products cover a range of scenarios, from on-site accidents to cyber threats.

What kind of groups does it cover?

Every community group is different, which is why we take the time to understand the activities your group undertakes and explain the cover we can offer. Below are some examples of community insurance we can provide:

  • Walking group insurance. Walking groups are a great way to get fit while socialising – however there are risks such as tripping or slipping, which is why public liability cover is essential.
  • Drama group insurance. Drama groups are very popular and allow attendees to develop a new skill. You will require multiple types of cover to protect the building, and the wellbeing of performers and volunteers.
  • Parent and toddler group insurance. A fun and social way to bring parents and their children together, similarly to drama groups, you will need multiple covers - with public liability insurance and employer's liability insurance being the most essential.
  • Computer club insurance. Computer clubs face different risks compared to other groups, as well as the essential public liability insurance for community groups and employer's liability insurance in case there is an injury onsite. Cyber insurance may also factor in here.

Some of the other group types we insure:

Our support for the charity and voluntary sector

We’ve raised over £150,000 for our supported charity, as well as being involved in other projects supporting the voluntary sector, and we understand the value small charities and community groups have in society.

You can read more about our support of the community and charity sector here.

*Price based on a community group requiring £500,000 of professional indemnity and trustees liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google


Cover starting at £3 a month

Insure your community group with these specialist covers

  • Public liability insurance and employer's liability insurance

    To ensure comprehensive protection against claims, we group our public liability insurance and employers' liability insurance together.

    Public liability insurance is an important cover for non-profit organisations that interact with the public. It covers the cost of defending your group in case of injury or property damage due to your negligence. Without cover in place, the legal fees alone could cost your group thousands of pounds. Cover for £5m.

    Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ staff or volunteers. It covers against allegations of injury or illness suffered by staff during their employment. If your group employs staff on a full time, part time or volunteer basis, this cover is essential. Cover for £10m.

  • Trustee indemnity insurance and professional indemnity insurance

    Trustee indemnity insurance covers the legal costs and expenses of defending against disqualification as a trustee, investigations or extradition proceedings, thereby protecting the trustee’s personal wealth. If your group has trustees, you should give serious consideration to trustee indemnity insurance. Cover is available from £250k to £1m.

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your community group against allegations of professional negligence, such as giving poor or incorrect advice to a user of your services. This could be someone undergoing counselling with your group, for example.

    Entity defence covers your community group against identity fraud, investigations (other than by HM Revenue & Customs), corporate manslaughter and breach of contract. Entity defence is included in your policy at no additional cost when trustee liability insurance is added to your policy. Cover for £25,000.

  • Property damage insurance

    Property damage insurance covers:

    • your buildings
    • general contents (including stock)
    • computer equipment
    • tenant improvements and glass (for which you are responsible) against accidental damage (including theft) while on your group’s premises.

    You can also choose to insure your group’s equipment, such as laptops and mobile phones, on a worldwide basis. In addition, you can insure against additional trading expenses following an interruption, for example, a flood that means your group has to operate from other premises.

  • Legal representation and employment disputes insurance

    Legal representation and employment disputes cover protects your group against employment disputes, official investigations and other serious matters, including:

    • crisis management
    • identity fraud
    • official investigations (excluding HMRC)
    • corporate manslaughter
    • pollution
    • data protection issues.

    Cover for £100,000.

  • Money and personal assault insurance

    Money and personal assault insurance covers loss of money for fixed limits up to a maximum of £250,000 for non-negotiable money such as crossed cheques and £2,500 for negotiable money. In addition, if you, or members of your family, or employees, or members of their family, are injured during a robbery or attempted robbery, we will pay you either £5,000 or £50 per week for 104 weeks - depending on the nature of the injury.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance protects your group in the event of a targeted cyber-attack. It pays the costs of:

    • restoring data and equipment
    • informing clients
    • meeting ransom demands
    • loss of your net profit.

    It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. Cover from £50k to £250k.

  • Fidelity insurance

    Fidelity insurance protects your group against dishonesty or fraud by a representative of your group, such as a volunteer or employee. This could be, for example, if the volunteer who handles your accounts was found to have stolen money from the group’s funds for their own personal benefit. Cover for £50,000.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance helps your group’s volunteers and employees if they are accidentally injured in the course of your activities. It pays a weekly amount for temporary total disablement, or a lump sum if they suffer loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death. Limits from £100 per week/£25k lump sum to £500/week/£100k lump sum.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Free from mobile & landline

Third Sector Awards headline sponsor Carers Trust are our supported charity

Cover starting at £3 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Is community group insurance a legal requirement?

    If you have employees within your group, employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement. You’re not legally required to have public liability insurance, though it is recommended if you’re a business owner. The legal cost could be insurmountable if a successful claim is made against you.

    View details

  • Can we get insurance if we’re not a registered club?

    Yes – you don’t need to be a registered charity to get cover for your group. Many of our clients are small charities or community organisations that are new or are too small to be a registered charity.

  • Are volunteers covered?

    Yes - the employer's liability and public liability section of the policy provides cover for your volunteers. As long as you have this policy in place your volunteers will be covered.

  • Does the public liability section cover events?

    Yes, public liability insurance provides cover for charity events (such as fundraising) for up to 500 attendees.

  • Can we get cover if we don't have a regular meeting place?

    Yes. We cover hundreds of groups that don't have a regular meeting place and prefer to host at different premises such as members' homes, village halls and community centres.

  • Why should I take a policy out with Markel?

    With over 25 years’ experience, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing small charities and community groups, and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    But if you’re still not sure give us a call us on 0800 640 6604 and a member of the team will be happy to explain the different policies and walk through the best options for you. Alternatively, you can get a quote now using our online system and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.


Cover starting at £3 a month

Our support of the community and charity sector

As a specialist insurer of for small charities and community groups, we are only too aware of the importance of these organisations and we support the sector in a number of ways.

Britain's Best Volunteer award

Britain's Best Volunteer award, run in partnership with Small Charities Coalition, celebrates the achievements of those who volunteer their time to help small charities, local community groups and not-for-profit organisations.

The winner receives a donation of £1,250 to their charity, while each runner-up finalist receives a £250 donation, as well as generating valuable awareness for small groups that may otherwise struggle to be heard above other, larger charities.

In this video, Liz Glenister, winner of Britain's Best Volunteer award 2016, talks about Hypopara UK's story - the inspiration behind it, the challenges faced and how Britain's Best Volunteer award will help the charity.

Carers Trust - our supported charity

Carers Trust work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. Carers don’t choose to become carers: it just happens and they have to get on with it. We've raised over £150,000 for this deserving cause through cake sales, dress down days, sponsorship and challenges. In addition, each Christmas we donate around 100 hand-wrapped gifts to our local carers centre to give to isolated carers that are unable to travel far from home.

Carers Trust Christmas gifts

Third Sector Awards - headline sponsor

The Third Sector Awards recognise those who give back to the community and celebrates organisations and leaders from across the charity sector. As headline sponsors, we are proud to support the awards and the opportunity it gives charities to raise their profile and increase valuable awareness of their cause.

Third Sector Awards - headline sponsor

Cover starting at £3 a month