Builders insurance

Specialist insurance for tradesmen from just £7.50 a month.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist builder’s insurance, offered by Caunce O’Hara (a division of Markel), has been tailored to provide expert cover to self-employed builders. Whether it’s home builders’ insurance you’re looking for or contractor builders insurance, our insurance covers all types of building professionals.

What is builders’ insurance?

Builders’ insurance will protect you against the unexpected. For example, a member of the public being injured or a client’s property being damaged during the course of your business activities.

If something like this goes wrong during the course of your work, builders’ insurance will cover you against the legal costs and implications.

Get a quote now

Why do builders need insurance?

An accident caused by your building work that leaves a member of the public injured or accidental damage to a client’s property could result in legal action being taken against you.

If you are found to be responsible for this, you could be left facing substantial financial implications that could have a big impact on your business.

Our builder’s insurance can cover you against these scenarios and many more, providing you with the peace of mind that if something does go wrong, you'll be covered.

What does builders’ insurance cover?

Builders’ insurance from our partners Caunce O’Hara provides a range of optional covers that are created to protect against the risks most often experienced by builders. This includes:

Property damage
You’re carrying out repair work in a client’s home. As you carry the materials through the house, you accidentally push the door open with too much force, causing the handle to damage a wall.

You’re working on a project. A wall you are building isn’t stable. A part of it falls and injures a passerby. Another scenario could involve a client being injured when visiting the site.

Tools and trade materials theft or damage
You’re working on a new project in an area you’re not familiar with. You park your van around the corner from the site your working on. A little later when a parking space becomes available closer by, you head back to your van only to find that the rear van door has been broken into and your tools are gone. This stops you from being able to do all the tasks you had planned to carry out that day.

Get a quote now

How to buy builders insurance

Get a builders insurance quote today using our partner Caunce O’Hara’s fast and simple online quote form. You’ll need to answer some questions about you and your business. Once you’ve answered the questions, you can tailor the type of insurance you require and obtain a personalised quote.

You can then process your payment and get covered immediately or up to 30 days in advance.

How much does builders’ insurance cost?

Builder insurance prices vary depending on the types of risks you encounter at work and the level of cover you require. Provided by our insurance partners at Caunce O’Hara, builders insurance starts from only £7.50 per month.

There are no hidden fees or cancellation charges with our insurance.

There are no hidden fees or cancellations fees if you wish to cancel a policy.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £7.50 a month

Choose a builders insurance policy to suit you

  • Public liability insurance

    If a member of the public, client or supplier is injured during the course of your work, builders public liability insurance will cover your defence costs. Property damage caused by your business activities is also covered under this policy, for example if you smash a client’s window or crack a client’s patio tile while carrying materials onsite.

    Builders' liability insurance will cover your legal costs and any compensation payments due if you are found to be at fault. If you work on contracts with big clients, your client may insist on you having public liability insurance in place before you can start work on the project.

    Limits range from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    If you have any full time, part time or temporary employees, having employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement. This cover protects against injury or illness claims from employees which have occurred due to their employment at your company.

    If you employ any staff, employers’ liability insurance is essential.

    Limits range from £5 million to £10 million.

  • Portable equipment insurance (Tools insurance)

    For many builders, your tools are vital to your job. If they are misplaced, stolen or damaged, it’s likely that you won’t be able to work.

    While your tools might be secure at home in the evening, when you’re working in homes or on site, it’s difficult to ensure that your equipment is always safe.

    With portable equipment insurance, the cost of replacing your equipment is covered, helping you to get back to work quicker.

    Limits range from £1,000 to £5,000 per person.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    If ever you find yourself dealing with a contract dispute, tax enquiry (including IR35), attending jury service, dealing with debt recovery or a personal injury, legal expenses insurance will pay your legal costs and expenses.

    The policy will also cover any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee.

    If a client takes legal action against you for a mistake you have made, this insurance can prevent you from having to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

    The limit of indemnity for legal expenses insurance is £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    If you store any data related to your business or clients, you could be at risk of a cyber-attack. Cyber and data risks insurance helps pay the financial costs caused by a cyber-attack, including:

    -       Restoring client data and IT equipment

    -       Informing relevant stakeholders of the attack

    -       Meeting ransom demands

    -       Loss of net profits for the client

    This insurance will cover the legal costs and financial penalties that you may be expected to pay after an attack if for example client data is hacked.

    If you store any confidential data on your devices including mobile, tablet or laptop, this cover could be beneficial.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at just £7.50 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I need to arrange builders’ insurance to start work – do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. We provide a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document (detailing the cover you have with us) as part of the documents that are emailed to you if you purchase your policy with us. If you work on contracts with other businesses, you can present this document to clients as proof that you are insured.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Industry bodies and individual clients (if you work on contracts with businesses rather than individuals) will have different regulatory requirements which may determine the minimum levels of cover you need to begin a contract. Before arranging cover with us, it may be worth checking this.

    If you work in individuals’ homes or for smaller businesses where none of your clients specify the cover you need, or you have never arranged cover before, give some thought to a worst-case scenario to work out the most likely risks you face in your business, and how much it would cost to sort out the issue.

    With our insurance there are a range of cover limits, giving you the flexibility to create the cover that’s right for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0333 242 8215 or get a quick quote online.

  • How do I make a claim?

    We do everything we can to make our claims process as hassle-free and painless as possible. Visit our claims page to find out how to make a claim and read about our award-winning claims service.

  • How are Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you’ll find on the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your electrics business when you purchase Legal Expenses insurance including:

  • 24hr legal helpline.
  • 800+ DIY legal resources including contracts, policies, forms, and letter templates from Markel’s solicitors.
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists, and useful links.
  • 460+ straight-forward guides.
  • 350+ links to key resources.
  • Up-to-date information on new legislation and case-law.
  • Live Chat available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00.

Discover more about these services here.

Cover starting at just £7.50 a month