Painter and Decorator Insurance

Specialist insurance for painters and decorators from £106 a year.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

When you’re working with ladders and paint, accidents can happen. You might fall and suffer an injury, or you could cause damage to a client’s property.

In cases like these, you’ll need insurance to help you cover the financial fallout.

At Markel, we offer painter and decorator insurance tailored to meet the needs of your business. You can rely on us for affordable cover and excellent customer service.

What is painter and decorator insurance?  

Painter and decorator insurance is there to protect your business from various risks. It can include different types of cover, such as public liability protection, portable equipment insurance and employers’ liability cover. By making sure you have the right package of protections in place, you can help to safeguard your finances if things go wrong.

Do I need painter and decorator insurance?  

No matter how cautious you are, there’s always a risk that you’ll encounter problems when you’re providing painting and decorating services. What if a customer trips over your tools and suffers a serious injury? Would you be able to cover the legal fees and compensation payment if they decided to sue? Or perhaps you spill paint on a client’s flooring and have to cover the cost of repairing the damage.

In cases like these, it pays to have decorators’ public liability insurance in place so that you’re not left out of pocket. Some clients might also ask to see proof of this type of cover before they will agree to use your services.

If you have employees, one type of insurance that you’ll certainly need is employers’ liability cover. This is a legal requirement if you have workers, even if they are part-time or temporary.

Then there are your tools to think about. If your equipment is stolen, lost or damaged and you don’t have suitable insurance in place, you could face a large bill to repair or replace the items.

Why choose Markel for painters’ and decorators’ insurance?

When you choose Markel for your painters’ insurance, you can rest assured you’re in safe hands. Here are just some of the reasons to take out a policy with us.

✔ Great value for money
We pride ourselves on offering our customers excellent value for money. What’s more, thanks to our transparent pricing, you won’t face any unexpected costs.  

✔ Quick quotes
You can get a quote from us in less than two minutes. Simply complete our online form and we’ll get back to you in as little as 90 seconds.  

✔ Excellent customer ratings
Want to know what others think about us? Check out our impressive customer ratings on

✔ Legal advice around the clock
If you find yourself in a tricky legal situation, you’ll want specialist advice straight away. That’s why we offer a 24/7 legal helpline run by experienced solicitors.  

✔ 25 years of experience
With Markel, you’re choosing an insurer with over 25 years of experience in providing business insurance to tradesmen. We know exactly what we’re doing.

How much does painter and decorator insurance cost?  

There is no one-size-fits-all insurance solution for painters and decorators. The cost of your policy will depend on a number of factors. This includes the size of your business, whether you have employees, the types of projects you work on and the equipment you use. We offer policies starting from £106* a year. To find out exactly how much you can expect to pay, simply get a quote today.

*Price based on a painter and decorator requiring £1 million public liability insurance cover.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting from £106 a year

What type of business insurance does a painter and decorator need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance is a very important type of financial protection for painters and decorators. It protects you against claims made by members of the public who are injured or suffer property damage as a result of the actions of your business. At Markel, we offer this type of insurance with cover limits ranging from £1 million to £5 million.
    Example of a claim:
    You accidentally spill paint on a customer’s designer sofa. They seek compensation from you to cover the cost of replacing the damaged furniture.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance is a legal requirement if you have employees, even if they are part-time or temporary. You must have a minimum of £5 million worth of cover in place. This type of insurance protects you from claims made by employees if they become ill or are injured due to the work they do for you. We provide employers’ liability cover of up to £10 million.

    Example of a claim:

    A worker falls from a ladder while decorating a ceiling and suffers a broken leg. They seek compensation for their suffering and for lost earnings.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance is there to cover you if you are involved in a legal dispute. This could include a tax enquiry, personal injury claim, contract dispute or debt recovery case. Our policies have a cover limit of £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance protects you if your IT systems are targeted by a malicious
    attack. It covers the costs of restoring equipment and data, meeting ransom demands, informing clients affected by the breach and making up lost profits. It also covers legal fees and compensation payments that may be owed to the affected parties.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance is designed to support your income if you are unable to work because of an injury you suffer at work or while travelling to or from work. It provides weekly payments or a lump sum, depending on the nature of the injury.

  • Money and personal assault insurance

    Money and personal assault insurance covers you for money that is lost or stolen from your premises or while in transit. It also includes financial protection for those who are injured in a robbery.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the legal costs and damages you might face in your capacity as a director or officer of your business if you are accused of wrongful acts. We offer cover limits of £100,000 to £5 million.

  • Portable equipment insurance (Tools insurance)

    As a painter and decorator, your tools are essential to your work. Portable equipment insurance covers the cost of replacing or repairing your tools if they are stolen, lost or damaged. We offer cover limits of £1,000 to £5,000.

    Example of a claim:

    There is a fire at the premises where you keep your equipment, causing serious damage to a number of the tools you rely on. This leaves you facing significant costs to replace the affected items.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £106 a year

Frequently asked questions

Access free legal services for your painting business when you purchase Legal Expenses insurance including:

  • 24hr legal helpline.
  • 800+ DIY legal resources including contracts, policies, forms, and letter templates from Markel’s solicitors.
  • Free legal updates, templates, guidance documents, checklists, and useful links.
  • 460+ straight-forward guides.
  • 350+ links to key resources.
  • Up-to-date information on new legislation and case-law.
  • Live Chat available Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00.

Discover more about these services here.

Cover starting from £106 a year