Small business insurance
Specialist insurance tailored to your small business from just £5 a month
Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds
24hr legal advice helpline included
No hidden fees or cancellation charges
Some of the 200+ professions we can insure
Cover starting at just £5 a month
Cover starting at just £5 a month
Frequently asked questions
Is business insurance a legal requirement?
Most types of business insurance are not a legal requirement. Employers’ liability cover is an exception to this. It is a legal requirement for businesses that have workers, even on a part-time or temporary basis. It’s also important to bear in mind that other types of insurance, such as professional indemnity cover, might be required by regulatory bodies within your industry. It may also be specified in your contract with a client that you’re required to hold certain types of business insurance before beginning the work.
Can I get insured before I register my business?
It is possible to get business insurance before you register your business and before you start trading. However, insurers will need to know details such as your business address, trade type, projected turnover and business structure (for example, limited company, sole trader, etc).
Can I still be insured if I have had a CCJ/IVA?
Some insurers are stricter than others when it comes to CCJs (County Court Judgments) and IVAs (Individual Voluntary Arrangements), but having a CCJ or IVA doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t obtain business insurance. If you have a CCJ or IVA and would like to insure with us, please call our team on 0800 640 6600 so that we can understand more on your personal circumstances to see if our insurance would be suitable for you.
Do I still need small business insurance if I work from home?
Working from home does not mean you don’t need small business insurance. For example, if you have employees, you will still require employers’ liability insurance, and if you provide professional services or advice to clients, it is strongly recommended to take out professional indemnity cover. There may also be a variety of other types of small business insurance that you need.
Can I run a business without business insurance?
With the possible exception of employers’ liability cover, business insurance isn’t legally mandated. However, you should consider the risk to your finances of operating without the relevant types of protection in place.
What limit of cover should I choose?
When choosing your limit, you should first check if your clients require you to have a certain amount of public and product liability, or other type of business insurance, before entering into a contract with you.
If there is no requirement, make sure you have considered worst-case scenarios and the costs that could likely be involved with not only defending the allegation, but also the compensation you might have to pay to correct your mistake. Markel offers limits ranging from £1 million to £5 million, so you’ll get the right cover for your business’ needs.
My business undertakes work with clients outside the UK - can you provide cover for it?
We are able to insure businesses that undertake a small amount of work from clients based overseas, however it is subject to our underwriting criteria. Get a quote now to find out.
How are Markel regulated?
Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.
Expect more from your business insurer.
When you take out cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:
24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors
Access our fee dispute service to assist with unpaid invoices
A specialist cyber response helpline to help in the event of a cyber attack
Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Law Hub
Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy
Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House
View the full list of professions we insure
- Accountants insurance
- Architects insurance
- Artist insurance
- Bookkeeper insurance
- Bricklayers insurance
- Builders insurance
- Building services insurance
- Cake makers insurance
- Candle makers insurance
- Chemical Engineer insurance
- Complementary therapist insurance
- Component inspection and testing insurance
- Computer Programmer Insurance
- Consultants insurance
- Counselling insurance
- Craft Fair and Craft Stall Insurance
- Dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance
- Design and CAD engineer insurance
- Designers insurance
- Drama teacher insurance
- Electrical engineers insurance
- Electricians insurance
- Energy assessor and consultant insurance
- Engineers insurance
- Environmental and ecology consultant insurance
- Event organiser insurance
- Fire and security consultant insurance
- First aider insurance
- Fitness instructor and personal trainer insurance
- Florist and flower shop insurance
- Freelancer and contractor insurance
- Gardeners insurance
- Graphic designer insurance
- Handyman insurance
- Health and safety consultant insurance
- Health and social care consultant insurance
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning engineer insurance
- Home business insurance
- HR consultant insurance
- Hypnotherapy insurance
- Insurance for reflexologists
- Interior designer insurance
- IT Consultant Insurance
- IT Contractor Insurance
- Jewellery makers insurance
- Laboratory testing and research insurance
- Landscape architects and garden design insurance
- Letting and estate agents insurance
- Locksmith insurance
- Management and business consultant insurance
- Marketing consultant and agency insurance
- Massage insurance
- Mechanical engineer insurance
- Music teachers insurance
- Network Engineers insurance
- Offshore contractors insurance
- Online Retailer (eCommerce) Insurance
- Photographers insurance
- Physiotherapy insurance
- Plumbers insurance
- Project engineer insurance
- Property and facilities management insurance
- Quality control and process management insurance
- Recruitment agency insurance
- Recruitment consultants insurance
- Reiki insurance
- School inspectors, OFSTED and educational consultants insurance
- Self employed and start ups insurance
- Software Consultants Insurance
- Software Developers Insurance
- Sole trader insurance
- Sports coach insurance
- Sports massage insurance
- Teachers and tutors insurance
- Telecommunications network consultant insurance
- Tilers insurance
- Tradesman insurance
- Training consultants insurance
- Translator and interpreter insurance
- Transportation, distribution and logistics consultant insurance
- Videographer insurance
- Virtual assistants insurance
- Web designer insurance
- Wedding planners insurance
- Working from home and homeworker insurance
- Yoga teacher and pilates instructor insurance
- Zumba instructor insurance