Small business insurance
Specialist insurance tailored to your small business from just £5 a month
Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds
Interest free direct debit
No hidden fees or cancellation charges
Some of the 200+ professions we cover
Cover starting at just £5 a month
Cover starting at just £5 a month
Frequently asked questions
Can I run a business without business insurance?
With the exception of Employers’ Liability Insurance, business insurance is not a legal requirement. However, if a claim does happen it could easily put your business in financial trouble. Think about what a claim could cost you and prepare for that level of cover as a minimum.
My business undertakes work with clients outside the UK - can you provide cover for it?
We are able to insure businesses that undertake a small amount of work from clients based overseas, however it is subject to our underwriting criteria. Get a quote now to find out.
What limit of cover should I choose?
When choosing your limit, you should first check if your clients require you to have a certain amount of public and product liability before entering a contract with you.
However, if this isn't the case, make sure you have considered a worst case scenario and the costs that could likely be involved with not only defending the allegation, but also the compensation you might have to pay to put your mistake right. Markel offers limits ranging from £1m to £5m, so you are sure to find the right cover for your business' needs.
Why should I insure with Markel?
With over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals, at Markel, we insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at Feefo.com.
We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of $1.2 billion in 2018.
To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.
How are Markel regulated?
Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you’ll find on the Financial Services Register.
Expect more from your business insurer.
When you take out cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:
24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors
Access our fee dispute service to assist with unpaid invoices
A specialist cyber response helpline to help in the event of a cyber attack
Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Law Hub
Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy
Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House
View the full list of professions we insure
- Architects insurance
- Bookkeeper insurance
- Building services insurance
- Chemical Engineer insurance
- Complementary therapist insurance
- Component inspection and testing insurance
- Computer Programmer Insurance
- Consultants insurance
- Counselling insurance
- Dance teacher and performing arts instructor insurance
- Design and CAD engineer insurance
- Designers insurance
- Drama teacher insurance
- Electrical engineers insurance
- Energy assessor and consultant insurance
- Engineers insurance
- Environmental and ecology consultant insurance
- Event organiser insurance
- Fire and security consultant insurance
- First aider insurance
- Fitness instructor and personal trainer insurance
- Freelancer and contractor insurance
- Graphic designer insurance
- Health and safety consultant insurance
- Health and social care consultant insurance
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning engineer insurance
- Home business insurance
- HR consultant insurance
- Hypnotherapy insurance
- Insurance for reflexologists
- Interior designer insurance
- IT Consultant Insurance
- IT Contractor Insurance
- Laboratory testing and research insurance
- Landscape architects and garden design insurance
- Letting and estate agents insurance
- Management and business consultant insurance
- Marketing consultant and agency insurance
- Massage insurance
- Mechanical engineer insurance
- Music teachers insurance
- Network Engineers insurance
- Offshore contractors insurance
- Photographers insurance
- Physiotherapy insurance
- Project engineer insurance
- Property and facilities management insurance
- Quality control and process management insurance
- Recruitment agency insurance
- Recruitment consultants insurance
- Reiki insurance
- School inspectors, OFSTED and educational consultants insurance
- Self employed and start ups insurance
- Software Consultants Insurance
- Software Developers Insurance
- Sole trader insurance
- Sports coach insurance
- Sports massage insurance
- Teachers and tutors insurance
- Telecommunications network consultant insurance
- Training consultants insurance
- Translator and interpreter insurance
- Transportation, distribution and logistics consultant insurance
- Videographer insurance
- Virtual assistants insurance
- Web designer insurance
- Wedding planners insurance
- Working from home and homeworker insurance
- Yoga teacher and pilates instructor insurance
- Zumba instructor insurance