Drama teacher insurance

Specialist cover for drama teachers and singing coaches from just £5 a month

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

With over 25 years experience as a specialist insurer, we have designed our insurance for drama teachers to cover a wide range of risks facing the performing arts industry.

In today's litigious society, claims can arise from many different sources. An allegation of sub-standard teaching, a student injuring themsleves during a rehearsal or damage caused to a premises you hire for lessons could see a claim brought against you for thousands of pounds.

Our specialist cover has been designed to cover against a multitude of risks facing drama teachers and performing arts tutors, giving you the peace of mind that if something unexpected were to happen, you would be covered.

Our quick and easy quote form enables you to build your policy around your needs - so you will only ever pay for the cover you choose. Get an online quote in 90 seconds now!

Customer reviews


Rated 4.7 stars from 396 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Tailor your drama teacher insurance with these covers

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you. This covers a range of risks facing drama teachers providing instructoring and coaching to their students and should be considered by all teachers. Covers is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Public liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds. This cover is particularly important for drama teachers and tutors that hire a studio or hall for their lessons. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If your drama school has any employees, even on a part time basis, you need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. If you use laptops or sound systems during lessons, you should give consideration to this cover. You can also choose to cover your business equipment on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to a property.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Free from mobile & landline


Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance is different - it covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • I teach lessons at different venues - is this covered?

    Yes. Regardless of where you teach - for example, a drama studio, community centre or village hall - you'll be covered under our policy.

  • Does the policy cover performances?

    No - we are currently unable to cover performances.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    Established over 25 years ago, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing professionals and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and you can view our details on the Financial Services Register. We're a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premiums of £800m ($1.2 billion) in 2015.

    Still not sure? Call us on 0800 640 6600 - one of our insurance experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and talk you through the insurance we offer so you can choose the right cover for your business. Alternatively, get an online quote in 90 seconds now and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

We offer a specialist policy for drama teachers based at home

Unlike many insurers that offer a 'one size fits all' policy for all their customers, we offer specially designed cover for those based at home, who do not have a dedicated office or studio for their drama business.

It's important to remember that home insurance policies rarely include cover for business activities, so arranging your a specialist homeworker insurance policy to cover your drama teaching business is important to ensure you're covered.

Cover starts at just £5/month with a range of limits available for drama schools of all sizes - get an online quote now!

Cover starting at just £5 a month