Music teachers insurance

Specialist insurance for music teachers from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Helping people to unlock their musical talent is a richly rewarding experience – but being a music teacher can carry some risks.

Our music teacher insurance allows you to have the peace of mind to be able to enjoy teaching your pupils how to play and read music, while knowing you are protected for the lessons you provide.

What is music teacher insurance?

Our music teacher insurance will help you feel confident that you are protected against a wide variety of eventualities – whether that’s an allegation of poor teaching practice, or the theft of equipment that stops you from doing your work, or an injury a student sustains whilst under your tutelage.

Our range of insurance policies, including professional indemnity insurance and public liability cover will respond to cover legal fees incurred and compensation awards you could be liable for should a client make a claim against you.

Get a quote now

Why do music teachers need insurance?

Music teachers' insurance can cover you in the event of incidents such as a pupil injuring themselves when playing an instrument, or a client alleging negligent teaching due to a pupil’s lack of progress at learning to play instrument or learning to read music.

These instances can result in claims against you, even if you feel you’ve done nothing wrong. Our music teacher insurance policies will respond to cover you for the cost of defending a claim.

How do I arrange music teacher insurance?

By insuring with Markel, you'll benefit from our 25 years' experience in the sector. Our fast and easy quote system can help you build a specialist policy that best fits your job as a music teacher. You then have the choice to buy all or some of these – paying only for the cover you want.

*From £5 a month price is based on a music teacher requiring £50,000 of cyber and data risks insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Build your music teacher insurance policy by choosing your cover

  • Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

    Public liability and professional indemnity insurance offers comprehensive protection against the cost of defending you against allegations of professional negligence (such as failing to provide an acceptable level of music tuition to a client) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    In addition, it covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business. Examples of claims include:

    • Parents or guardians challenging your tuition because they feel you did not adequately prepare their child for an exam and taking legal action to try to cover the cost of test fees or any extra tuition required.
    • Claims made for compensation after a student trips over a cable while visiting your home for a music lesson and suffers an injury. 
    • Claim for damages made after you drop a musical instrument belonging to a student and cause it to require repairs. 

    Professional indemnity and public liability insurance for music teachers is therefore generally considered an important part of an overall package of cover. Cover tends to range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer’s liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a statutory requirement for any business with employees. This covers you for injury or illness suffered by any staff you employ as a result of the work they carry out. Music teachers might - for example - face a claim if:

    An example of a claim would be:

    • A student strikes out at a staff member, prompting a personal injury claim for compensation.If your teaching business has any employees, you need this cover.

    Cover is provided for £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14 day deferment period).

    In the event of loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death, a lump sum would be paid out.

    If you would struggle to maintain an income following an occupational accident (i.e. one sustained while you are working as a teacher), you should consider having occupational personal accident insurance to help ease the financial burden.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance can help you to recover data, inform clients of a data breach and, should a situation arise, pay ransom demands. Music teachers will tend to hold confidential data about their students – including contact and payment details, and their grades and exam results – so may well wish to obtain cover that can protect this. 

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance would cover you for claims made against the professional advice or work you’ve carried out. For a music teacher, a professional negligence case might cover allegations against the quality of tutoring given for an exam. Public liability insurance, meanwhile, covers injuries or illnesses suffered by third parties through your work. This might mean dropping or damaging a musical instrument.

  • I teach several different types of music - will I be covered?

    Yes. We don't restrict the types of music you teach, so whether you teach the piano, guitar, violin or act as a singing coach, our policy can cover you as a music teacher.

  • I teach lessons at different venues - is this covered?

    Yes. Regardless of where you teach - for example, at home, a rented premises or your student's house - you'll be covered under our policy.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits on insurance, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access these specialist services with your Markel insurance policy

Our specialist insurance for teachers and tutors not only offers comprehensive protection against claims - it gives you access to time-saving business services designed to make your life easier in tricky situations.

24 hour legal helpline  24 hour legal advice helpline

With all policies you’ll get 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no extra cost. This means you can call on someone you can trust to answer queries on points of law, handling difficult clients, health and safety issues, or how to structure your business. This is included as standard with all policies.

Legal hub access Markel Business Hub access

On top of the 24-hour legal helpline, you also get access to hundreds of legal document templates. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance to use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees – in our online business hub, powered by LHS elXtr. This is included as standard with all policies.

  Fee dispute service

Chasing unpaid invoices or fees can be a time-consuming job for music teachers. Our policyholders can use a fee dispute helpline – powered by a leading law firm – for legal help and support to resolve these matters. This comes with our public liability and professional indemnity insurance cover.

  Public relations crisis management service

As a music teacher, your reputation is important in helping you to retain and grow your base of clients. Negative press coverage can be highly damaging. Our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, can work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. This is included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance, and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

  Cyber response helpline

Our cyber response helpline provides access to specialist solicitors and information security experts who can offer expert legal and technical IT security support if you suffer from a cyber-attack. Included as standard with cyber and data risks insurance.

  Discounted IR35 contract reviews

Falling within IR35 legislation - which determines that an individual is avoiding tax by using a limited company to disguise employment - is a huge concern for many self-employed music teachers who operate as a limited company. Our policyholders receive an exclusive discount on IR35 contract reviews from Markel Tax (a Markel company), which has more than 20 years experience advising individuals and businesses on their tax status. As part of the service, Markel Tax will review your contract, along with your working practices, to determine whether or not you are operating outside of IR35, and you'll receive a written report with suggested contract amendments where appropriate. Policyholders can access this service by calling 0345 223 2727 or emailing, quoting 'MKLD' and your policy number.

Cover starting at £5 a month