Chemical Engineer insurance

Expect more from your insurer. Specialist insurance for chemical engineers starting at £5 per month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • 24hr legal advice helpline included

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist insurance for chemical engineers has been designed to protect against the numerous risks facing contractors in chemical engineering and similar industries.

What is chemical engineer insurance?

Chemical engineer insurance is specialist cover for businesses and individuals who operate within the chemical engineering industry. This encompasses many different sectors, including energy, oil, gas, pharmaceuticals and water industries.

It can protect you against a wide range of scenarios – for example, if you make a mistake whilst working for a client, or accidentally injure someone whilst going about your business.

Build an insurance package that is for your business by choosing from a range of cover including professional indemnity, public liability, employers’ liability and more.

Why do chemical engineers need insurance? 

Chemical engineers face hazards and risks on a daily basis. The specialist nature of much of the work you conduct means that the consequences of making a mistake can be significant. When this happens, your client (or another third party) may take legal action against you to recover their losses.

Our insurance policy has been designed to protect you against many of the risks you face which could otherwise result in legal action being taken against you and your company.

What it covers

The insurance cover available to chemical engineers can protect against:

Poor Advice

A regional water company implements changes to its water treatment procedures as per your advice. The procedures are deemed unacceptable during the commissioning phase of the project, and your client has to make alternative arrangements. They take legal action against you for the costs incurred in putting right your mistake.

Accident in the workplace

An assistant trips over your bag whilst leaving a laboratory and breaks their wrist. They are unable to work for several weeks and take legal action against you seeking compensation.

Construction/design error

A minor miscalculation in a design for a filtration device causes lengthy delays during construction. Your client takes legal action against you seeking compensation for the delay.

How to arrange cover

For more information on our chemical engineer insurance, get a quote in just 90 seconds now. Alternatively, call us on 0800 640 6600 and speak to one of our insurance experts who will talk you through the cover offered and answer any queries you have.

How much does it cost?

Insurance for chemical engineers begins from £5 per month. Your monthly cost will change depending on the levels of cover you choose. There are no hidden costs, and no fees for cancellation.

*Price based on a chemical engineer requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Build a chemical engineer insurance policy to suit you

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance for chemical engineers protects you and your business against the legal costs of defending your business against professional negligence allegations.

    If you are working on a contract for a client, they are likely to insist that you have professional indemnity insurance in place

    Cover includes:

    -       Professional negligence

    -       Breach of confidentiality

    -       Libel or slander

    Markel professional indemnity insurance also includes mitigation of loss cover, which pays the financial costs to avoid a claim being made against you.

    Cover limits range from £100,000 to £5 million.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance handles the costs of defending your business if a third party is injured, or has their property damaged, as a result of your error.

    Where you are deemed liable for the injury or damage, public liability insurance also pays the cost of damages and compensation awarded against you.

    If you regularly work at client premises or visit sites, you should consider this cover.

    Limits range from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employer’s liability insurance

    If your business has employees, employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement. This cover protects your business against illness or injury claims that may happen as a result of their duties for your company. Should you operate in an environment where hazardous chemicals are present, this insurance is vital to cover against the risks.

    Limits range up to £10 million.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending yourself – as a director or officer of a company – against allegations of negligence or wrongful acts. If damages are awarded against you, these are covered too.

    Limits range from £100,000 to £5 million.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance ensures you receive a weekly payment if – due to temporary total disablement – you are unable to work (subject to a 14-day deferment period).

    Cover can pay a lump sum in the event of:

    -       Loss of hearing

    -       Loss of speech

    -       Loss of limb(s)

    -       Loss of sight

    -       Permanent Disablement

    -       Death

    Should you suffer an accident while working and be unable to maintain employment as a consequence, having this cover can help you maintain a regular income.


Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I need to arrange insurance to start work - do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. As soon as you purchase a policy with Markel, you will receive a ‘Confirmation of Liability Insurance’ document via email – along with the rest of your policy documents. This can be presented to agencies and clients as proof of cover.

  • Does my insurance cover me if I work abroad?

    In the majority of cases, Markel can insure you if a proportion of your work takes place abroad. When you complete the online quote form, you will be asked what percentage of your income comes from overseas. You will be notified whether Markel’s insurance can cover you.

  • I work offshore – does Markel’s insurance cover this?

    Markel offers a wide range of options for offshore insurance. Receive an online quote or call us on 0800 640 6600 if you would like advice from an insurance expert.

  • What are the differences between professional indemnity and public liability insurance?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers you and your business against allegations of professional negligence. It would protect you if, for example, you were to offer poor consultancy to a client, or made an error when conducting work.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of illness or personal injury caused to third parties because of negligence on your part. This includes individuals injured as a result of your error and damage to property such as client-owned laptops or smartphones.

    Both these types of cover insure against different scenarios, so you should consider arranging both types of cover.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Industry bodies, clients or recruitment agencies that you are working through may specify a minimum level of cover. You may wish to check with them before you arrange cover with Markel.

    If this is the first time you have arranged chemical engineer insurance, or are still unsure on your legal responsibilities to clients and employees, give some thought to a worst case scenario and what the likely cost would be to put your mistake right.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access exclusive contractor services - included as standard


When you purchase a policy with Markel, you automatically receive access to exclusive services and legal resources at no additional cost, including:

24 hour legal helpline  24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access  Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

Fee dispute service  Support with chasing unpaid invoices with our fee dispute service

  Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

  Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Discover more about these services

Cover starting at £5 a month