Electrical engineers insurance

Specialist insurance for electrical contractors from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

With over 25 years of experience in the sector, our specialist electrical contractors insurance offers a wide range of cover against a multitude of risks facing the industry.

Electrical contractors provide vital services to clients, and you put your reputation on the line each time you start work on a project. Your business could be drastically affected by:

  • Mistakes in your work
  • Accidents at a client’s premises
  • Damage caused to equipment used for work

If your mistake costs your client money, they may claim against you to recover their loss - and without electrical contractors insurance, you'd have to defend the claim out of your own pocket.

Our specialist insurance for electrical engineers and contractors can cover you against these scenarios and many more, giving you the peace of mind that if something does go wrong, you'll be covered.

What is electrical engineer insurance?

Electrical engineer’s insurance is a suite of business insurances, including professional indemnity insurance, public liability insurance and employers’ liability cover, which have been created to meet the risks and requirements of the engineering sector.

Get a quote now

Why do electrical engineers need insurance?

Electrical engineers typically deal with electricity and electronics and will be responsible for designing and developing new equipment and systems for power, control systems, and telecoms among others.

Products that electrical engineers can be involved in developing include: household appliances, telecoms and satellites, and electrical power stations. The responsibilities surrounding this high level of technical expertise come with an equally high level of risk. A miscalculation or other error can result in a faulty product and potential accidents, and even injury, to those using that product.

Our insurance for electrical engineers can help to protect your career and your professional reputation. Many clients won’t award you a contract without evidence that you have sufficient cover in place.

How do I arrange electrical engineer insurance?

Arranging your insurance online is quick and easy. Our fast quote form will offer you a range of options and you can choose to buy as much or as little cover as you need. This means you'll only ever pay for the insurance you want, and not for unnecessary extras.

You'll also receive an instant proof of cover document to show clients and agencies you are fully insured, which means you can quickly secure contracts.

*From £5 a month is based on an electrical engineer requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Electrical engineer insurance covers

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    Examples of claims include:

    • You are contracted to provide specification and designs for lighting for a client. Your designs contain an error in the distances between the lights, which results in additional costs to your client, as well as delays to the project. Your client takes legal action against you to recover their losses.

    PI insurance for electrical engineers is usually a mandatory requirement for those working on a contract. We offer cover for a wide range of limits ranging from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. An example of a claim would be:

    • During a site visit to review your specification, spill a cup of coffee over a high-specification client-owned computer, rendering it useless. Your client pursues you for the cost of replacing the laptop.
    • You leave a bag lying next to your desk, which a colleague trips over and injures themselves. They are unable to work for a period of time and take legal action against you seeking compensation.

    If you visit client premises or sites, you may need this insurance to cover your liabilities - and like professional indemnity insurance, it is usually a requirement of recruitment agencies and/or their client before you are awarded a contract. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer’s liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your firm has employees. This type of insurance covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment with you. If you have employees, regardless of whether they are full-time or part-time, you need this cover. Limit of £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts, and of any damages subsequently awarded against you.
    Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100k to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14 day deferment period).

    It pays a lump sum in the event of:

    -       Loss of limbs

    -       Loss of sight

    -       Loss of speech

    -       Loss of hearing

    -       Permanent disablement

    -       Death

    This cover could help you maintain an income if you are unable to work following an accident while working on an engineering contract, and would struggle to maintain a steady income while off work.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance pays the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit following a cyber attack. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. If you hold confidential information about your clients' projects (including designs, schedules and other sensitive data) on computers and other internet connected devices, you should give consideration to this cover.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I need to arrange insurance to start work - do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. We provide a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document (detailing the cover you have with us) as part of the documents that are emailed to you if you purchase your policy with us. You can present this document to agencies and clients as proof that you are insured.

  • Am I covered if I work abroad?

    In most cases, we can insure you if you do a proportion of your work abroad. Our quick and simple quote form will ask what percentage of your income comes from overseas and we can tell you instantly whether we can cover you or not. Alternatively, call us on 0800 640 6600 to speak to one of our contractor insurance experts.

  • I undertake work offshore - does the policy cover this?

    We offer cover for a wide range of professions working offshore. Get an online quote now or call us on 0800 640 6600 if you'd prefer to speak to someone.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    You may find you need a minimum level of cover in order to take a contract with many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements. It's worth checking what the level is before you arrange insurance. If this is the first time you've arranged cover, think about the likely costs involved in putting right the effects of a worst-case scenario. We offer a range of limits on insurance for electrical contractors, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at Feefo.com.

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Expect more from your electrical engineering insurer

When you take out cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:

24 hour legal helpline  24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

  A specialist cyber response helpline to help in the event of a cyber attack (included with cyber and data risk insurance)

Legal hub access  Access to legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

  Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting at £5 a month