Labourer Insurance

Specialist insurance for labourers from £13 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

As a labourer, you play a critical role in the success of construction projects. Your manual skills, stamina, physical strength and fitness, and your ability to work at height and manage heavy loads, make you a vital asset when it comes to carrying out construction work. But your job can also be filled with risks.

It doesn’t matter how experienced you are or how much care you put into your work, unfortunately things can go wrong. Whatever the task at hand - whether you’re paving a road, building a commercial property or reconstructing a bridge - you face a myriad of potential hazards every day.

That’s why it pays to have financial protection in place. At Markel Direct, we offer specialist labour insurance that’s designed especially with you in mind.

What is labourer insurance?

Labourer insurance is there to protect self-employed individuals in your line of work when the unexpected happens. When you take out insurance with us, you can tailor your package to include only the policies you really need. You can select from a variety of covers, including public liability insurance, tools insurance, employers’ liability insurance and more.

Labourer insurance is designed to cover the compensation costs and legal fees should a claim be made against you for personal injury, property damage or negligence, for example.

Get a quote now

Public liability insurance for labourers

It’s no secret that labouring is demanding work and is full of potential hazards. As a labourer, you likely have to deal with dust, fumes, noise, power tools, site traffic, uneven ground and adverse weather conditions, to name a few examples. You may also be tasked with working at height and transporting heavy loads. You’re also likely to come into contact with a variety of different people during the course of your work, including clients, contractors, employees, site visitors and members of the public. No matter how careful you are, you could find yourself held legally liable if someone is injured or their property is damaged as a result of your work. That’s where public liability insurance for self-employed labourers comes in.

For example, when working at height, you drop a piece of concrete. It lands on a site visitor who sustains serious injuries. They make a claim against you for compensation.

In this situation, you could be left in financial hardship by the legal fees alone without labourer public liability insurance in place. On the other hand, the right protection could shield you from hefty compensation costs and legal expenses, allowing you to get back to your work.

Do I need labourer insurance?

According to the Health and Safety Executive, the construction industry has a significantly higher rate of workplace injury compared to the average rate across all industries. It is also associated with higher than average rates of work-related musculoskeletal disorders. In addition, the risk of property damage is ever-present in the construction industry.

While the right training and equipment can help you to avoid accidents, they’re no substitute for self-employed labourer insurance. While you may pride yourself on your awareness of health and safety risks and your scrupulous attention to detail, the fact of the matter is that problems can arise. As a labourer, there is always the potential that you could inadvertently injure someone or damage a third party’s personal property during the course of your work. For this reason, it’s vital to ensure that you’re financially protected should the worst happen. It’s also worth bearing in mind that some clients won’t take you on if you don’t have adequate insurance in place.

Furthermore, if you employ staff - even on a part-time or short-term basis, you must have employers’ liability insurance by law. This policy will cover compensation and legal expenses if one of your employees sustains an injury or develops an illness as a result of the work they do for you. For example, an employee could file a claim against you for noise-induced hearing loss if they weren’t provided with the right ear protection for their job. Or a worker could sue you if they experience a serious injury as a result of a fall from height if you haven’t implemented fall arrest systems or provided adequate training.

You should also consider the tools you need to do your job. From trowels and levels to power drills and power saws, you probably rely on a variety of equipment. How would you manage if these tools were lost, stolen or damaged in a fire or flood? If you would struggle to afford to replace your tools in these situations, you should consider tools insurance.

Why choose Markel Direct for labourer insurance?

When it comes to choosing your insurance provider, you’ll want to make sure you’re making the right decision. Below are a few of the reasons to pick Markel Direct for your builders and labourer insurance.

✔ Clear pricing

You don’t have to put up with unexpected fees. When you come to us, you’ll also know exactly what you’re paying for, thanks to our transparent pricing model.

✔ Cover that’s right for you

No need for off-the-shelf insurance solutions. You can tailor your policies to your precise requirements so you’ll get exactly the right cover for you.

✔ Highly rated

We’re committed to satisfying our customers. To see for yourself, take a look at our reviews.

✔ Quick quotes

We know you don’t have time to waste. That’s why we offer labourer insurance quotes in as little as 90 seconds.

✔ Legal helpline

Get legal guidance any time of the day or night with access to our legal helpline, staffed by professional solicitors.

How to buy labourer insurance

Buying labourer insurance doesn’t have to be complicated when you shop with us. Simply fill in our online form and you’ll get a quote in as little as 90 seconds.

Once you’re ready to proceed, simply pay online. You get cover straight away or up to 30 days in advance.

How much does labourer insurance cost?

The cost of your labourer insurance will be determined by your cover needs. Factors such as the size of your business, how many workers you employ and whether you operate as a sole trader, partnership or limited company will be taken into consideration when calculating your premium.

To find out exactly how much your cover will cost, simply get a quote today.

*Price based on a labourer requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £13 a month

What types of insurance do labourers need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance covers the cost of compensation and legal fees if a member of the public sues you for property damage or personal injury. Our cover limits are between £1 million and £5 million.

    Example of a claim:

    A member of the public trips over a toolbox you have left unattended on the pavement while working on a commercial building in the town centre. They fracture their wrist and make a claim against you.

  • Employers’ liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance provides financial protection in the event that one of your employees becomes ill or injured due to their work. You must have at least £5 million of this cover. Our cover limit is £10 million.

    Example of a claim:

    A worker suffers a serious back injury after scaffolding collapses on top of them. They file a claim for compensation against you for their suffering.

  • Tool insurance

    Tools insurance protects the equipment you need as a labourer. If your tools are lost, damaged or stolen, your insurance will cover the cost of replacing them. Cover limits range from £1,000 to £5,000. You can choose to insure your tools 24/7 or during working hours only.

    Example of a claim:

    Your van is broken into and your tools are stolen. You have to pay out of your own pocket to replace them.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance is designed to supplement your income if you can’t work due to an injury you suffered on the job. Depending on your injury, you may be paid weekly or in one lump sum.

  • Owned plant insurance

    Owned plant insurance covers the cost of purchasing new plant machinery or repairing it if yours is damaged or stolen. Our cover limits range from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Hired in plant insurance

    Hired in plant insurance pays out if you have hired plant machinery and it is stolen or damaged. Our cover limits range from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Contract works insurance protects you financially if you have to repair work you have already carried out on a construction site due to a fire, flood, theft or an act of malicious damage.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    Goods in transit insurance covers the cost of replacing goods if they become lost or damaged in transit (either travelling by courier or in your own vehicle).

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £13 a month

Frequently asked questions

Access free legal services for your labouring business:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

 Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting from £13 a month