Videographer insurance

Specialist videographers insurance tailored to you from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • 24hr legal advice helpline and legal hub

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist insurance for videographers provides you with essential cover for both your equipment and your most valuable asset - your reputation.

What is videographer insurance?

Videographer insurance covers you should the worst happen while you’re on a shoot. In the event of an accident on set, another circumstance which could affect your reputation, or something happening to your equipment when you’re on a job.

At Markel, we provide the cover you need in the event of something unexpected happening. This could be from you accidentally deleting required footage, to an accident involving your equipment or someone being injured on set as a result of your mistake. As someone who regularly interacts with members of the public, a small mistake could lead to a costly claim against your business.

Why do videographers need insurance?

There are many reasons why videographers need insurance with so many risks facing your profession. The first one is to cover the cost of your equipment in the event of it being stolen or damaged. As you spend so much time shooting on location and in transit as a videographer, there’s a high risk of your equipment taking a knock at some point, which can be costly to replace.

The second one is to protect your work and your professional reputation. While you always strive to do your best on every shoot, in any job that involves both a contractor and a client, there’s always a possibility something could go wrong - and you may face legal claims from the client should you make a mistake that causes them a financial loss.

For this reason, it’s important to make sure you’re covered for worst-case scenarios such as accidently deleting footage or releasing the wrong cut of a video before the client has signed off. 

What does videographer insurance cover?

There are many scenarios videographer insurance covers against for your business, including:

Unexpected mistakes

While you may try your best not to make mistakes, they do happen and in your line of work, an unhappy client can be costly. From accidently wiping someone’s wedding footage to breaching a client's confidentiality.

Accidents and injuries

From a slip, trip or fall to something more serious, when you’re working with the public anything can happen. When it comes to accidents and injuries, if a claim is made against you or your business, it can be costly.

Damage to your equipment

Whether you usually work out of a studio or roving on location, there’s always a chance something can happen to your equipment. The cost of repairing or replacing equipment can be eye-wateringly high.

We also provide insurance cover for photographers, which you can find out more about here.

How to arrange your videographer insurance

Covering your videography business with Markel is simple. Get an online quote with us by answering a few quick questions about your business and activities. You can tailor your insurance to your business’ individual requirements, and you'll receive your policy documents instantly (with a proof of insurance document too) to show clients that you are insured.

How much it will cost?

The cost of videographer insurance will vary depending on the level of cover you need, but covering your videography business with Markel starts at just £5 per month.

*Price based on a videographer requiring £25,000 of directors and officers insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Videographer insurance cover

  • Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

    Public liability insurance is designed to safeguard your business from legal claims for injury to members of the public or damage to third party property. We’ll cover the cost of defending a claim against your business, as well as any compensation that may be payable. Limits range from £1 million to £5 million.

    Professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect you if you make a mistake in a piece of work for a client, or are accused of making a mistake in a piece of work for a client (even if you have performed your work to the standard expected), and the client suffers a financial loss as a result. Limits range from £1 million to £5 million.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    If your business has employees, employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement. It covers you if an employee makes a claim for injury or illness as a result of their employment with your business. Limit of £10 million.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the legal costs should you need to defend yourself against a claim of wrongdoing in your position as the director of your company. Limits range from £100,000 to £5 million.

  • Office and equipment cover

    Office insurance protects your office buildings, its contents and your equipment. If your videography business is a full-time job, we can insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events, such as a flood or fire, that cause interruption to your work. If you don't own an office, you can choose to cover your camera equipment under our business equipment section; you'll have the option to insure cameras, laptops, mobile phones and editing software on a worldwide basis.

  • Occupational personal accident

    If you are unable to work due to a temporary disablement (suffered whilst undertaking work) and would struggle to maintain an income, occupational personal accident cover can help you by providing a weekly payment.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. Limit of £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    In the event of a cyber-attack, cyber and data risks insurance covers the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit following a cyber-attack.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Do wedding videographers need insurance?

    Wedding videographers should consider having insurance in place. It is usually a requirement of the venue that the videographer has public liability insurance, as you will be working with members of the public. You’ll usually need to show proof of this before you’re able to start work - when you arrange cover with Markel, you'll receive your proof of insurance document instantly.

  • Does the policy cover the use of drones?

    No. We are currently unable to cover the use of drones or other types of aerial vehicle as part of your business' activities.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits on insurance, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access these exclusive services with your policy

When you arrange cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:

24 hour legal helpline  24 hour legal advice helpline

When you insure with Markel, you'll benefit from 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no additional cost. Expert legal advice can be costly when you're working for yourself and it's difficult to know who to turn to for a trustworthy answer. Whether it's a question on health and safety, employment law, legal structures for your business or how to handle a difficult client, an experienced team of solicitors are on hand day and night to help you with any business-related legal queries. Included as standard with all policies.

Legal hub access Markel Business Hub access

In addition to our 24 hour legal helpline, you'll have access to the Markel Business Hub - an award winning online resource of legal and business guides, templates and content written and created by our team of expert solicitors. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance you can use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees. Included as standard with all policies.

  Fee dispute service

Managing cashflow is a challenge for all photographers and chasing unpaid invoices or fees wastes valuable time when you could be working. We offer our policyholders access to a unique fee dispute helpline operated by one of the UK's leading law firms, who will provide specialist legal guidance and support on fee dispute issues. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

  Public relations crisis management service

Public relations disasters can occur at any time, particularly when something goes wrong following an emotionally charged event, such as a weddings or party. When there is a risk to your business as a result of negative press attention, our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, will work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

  Cyber response helpline

If your photography business is the victim of a targeted cyber attack, our cyber response helpline provides access to specialist solicitors and information security experts who will give expert legal and technical IT security guidance on the issues arising from cyber and data protection risks. Included as standard with cyber and data risks insurance.

Cover starting at £5 a month