This Privacy Statement sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us will be processed by us when you make use of our website www.markeluk.com, www.markeldirect.co.uk, www.markel-direct.co.uk, www.markelukdirect.com, www.markelukdirect.co.uk (the Site). Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
In order that we can provide you with the product or service requested, and to administer, service and maintain such product or service (including responding to any queries raised) you will provide us with information about yourself/your organisation, some of which may be personal data as defined by the Data Protection Act 1998 or any amendment or re-enactment thereof (the "Act").
Any changes we may make to our Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by email. This may include (without limitation) changes to how we use your data.
The last update was made on 5th August 2016.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Site. This includes information provided when using our Site to obtain a quotation or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence or phone call (telephone calls between us may be recorded).
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Site, the quotations obtained and the insurance policies purchased.
- Information that is available from publically available sources including social media sites
You warrant that you have all requisite consents to pass such information to us and other members of our corporate group and, where the Data Protection Act applies, to process such information within the meaning of the Act.
We, and other members of our corporate group, will treat such information in confidence. We will not disclose any such information to third parties except where your or your business' permission has been received or where permitted or required by law or where we are required to pass such information to regulatory bodies.
We may also collect information about your computer including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type and for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
Where we store your data
In view of the nature of the Internet the information you submit may be transferred outside the European Economic Area ("EEA") en route to its intended destination. It may also be stored outside the EEA or processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. Such staff may be engaged in, among other things, the fulfilment of your request of quotation, the processing of your payment details and the provision of support services. By submitting such information you consent to such transfers, storage or processing. As part of the process of providing the product or service requested we may use such information for research and statistical purposes. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1988 or any amendment or re-enactment thereof the data controller is Markel (UK) Limited, 2nd Floor, Verity House, 6 Canal Wharf, Leeds, LS11 5AS.
How we will use your data
We will use information held about you in the following ways:
- To manage your insurance policy including underwriting and claims handling (this may include without limitation disclosing information to other insurers, claims adjusters, lawyers, third party underwriters and reinsurers).
- To ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts of insurance entered into between you and us.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To communicate with you, including to see if you are interested in buying a quote you have received from us and to offer you a quote when your insurance is due for renewal in the future.
- To carry out market research and analysis and to develop our products and services
- In order to better understand you and our other customers
We may also share your information:
- With other members of our group to help us to assess insurance risks.
- With other members of our group or to third parties for debt recovery purposes.
- With selected third parties who are helping us improve our service.
- With selected third parties for the purposes of providing marketing and targeted advertising. This includes third parties who provide marketing via social media sites.
- To comply with our legal obligations in respect of the prevention and detection of crime.
- With fraud prevention and law enforcement agencies in the event that false or inaccurate information is provided to us and fraud established or suspected.
We would like to keep you up to date with our products and services. We may do this by email, phone, post and social media networks. We will only do so where you have indicated that you would like us to do so. If at any time you decide that you no longer wish to receive marketing from us you can contact us email@example.com.
The Internet is not a secure medium and we do not offer any warranties or assurances in this respect. Similarly, whilst we may communicate with you via e-mail or via the Site itself, we cannot accept any liability for the security or transmission of such e-mail or Internet-based communications: any transmission is at your own risk.
We do, however, take security seriously and all personal information about you is captured over a secure link using recognised industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology which encrypts the data whilst passing it over the web. This will be indicated on most browsers by a lock in the status bar at the bottom of the screen. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.