Health and safety consultant insurance

Specialist cover for health and safety consultants from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist health and safety insurance for consultants has been designed to provide tailored cover to protect your business against the unforeseen.

What is health and safety consultants insurance?

Health and safety consultant insurance protects your business should you accidentally cause injury or financial loss to a client. This can happen through negligence, a mistake, providing incorrect information or poor guidance via a risk assessment.

Health and safety consultants insurance protects you in the event of a claim should any of these instances occur. Markel provides affordable cover, offering several different options to suit your specific requirements as a H&S consultant.

Why do health and safety consultants need insurance?

Assessing health and safety hazards doesn’t always go to plan. A poorly conducted risk assessment, damage caused to client property during a site visit or a break-in at your premises could cost your business thousands of pounds. Our insurance for health and safety consultants could cover you for such instances.

Our simple quote system will ask about your business operations and build a policy around them, offering you covers that may be of interest. You can choose to buy all or just some of the covers quoted, so you will only ever pay for the cover you want.

What does health and safety consultant insurance cover?

No role comes without its risks. H&S insurance can be tailored to protect your business against a number of scenarios, including:

  • Accidental damage and/or personal injury caused to a third party (public liability)
  • Professional negligence or poor advice (professional indemnity)
  • Injury or illness suffered by an employee as a result of their employment (employers' liability)

Arranging the right level of cover for you

Arranging insurance for health and safety consultants has never been easier thanks to our online application process. Answer a few quick questions about you and your business and you'll receive an instant online quote. When purchased you will receive an instant proof of insurance document detailing the cover you hold.

Tailor your insurance policy to your business’ specific needs by choosing from a range of different covers. That means you don’t have to worry about paying for coverage you really don’t need.

How much will it cost?

We offer a wide range of cover options, all of which vary depending on the level of cover you choose. Our profession-based cover starts at £5 a month.

*Price based on a health and safety consultant requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Tailor your health and safety consultants insurance online

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Protect your business against potential financial loss due to allegations of negligence with professional indemnity insurance. This includes a client seeking legal action for providing them with incorrect health and safety advice that causes damage or loss. With coverage ranging anywhere from £50,000 all the way to £5m, you can have peace of mind that your reputation is protected.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance protects your business against legal action sought against you should your advice or negligence cause damage to third party property, or injury to a person. This is particularly important as legal fees can cost thousands of pounds alone, causing a significant financial blow to your business regardless of the outcome. We offer coverage from £1m to £5m.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    You are legally required to have employers' liability insurance if your company has employees, whether they are full-time or part-time. This covers your business for claims of injury or illness arising from the workplace or general employment. You can get coverage for up to £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    With a limit of £100,000, legal expenses insurance covers legal costs and expenses for a number of scenarios. This includes contract disputes, attending jury service, debt recovery and other expenses required due to an employment dispute.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Offering anywhere from £100,000 to £5m, directors and officers insurance covers the cost of defending those in these positions. This includes allegations of wrongful acts and damages awarded against directors and officers, plus legal costs and extradition proceedings.

  • Office insurance

    As the name suggests, office insurance protects both the building and the contents of your office. This includes both accidental damage and theft. There is also an option to cover your office equipment on a worldwide basis – for example, taking a company laptop abroad.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Providing a weekly payment to those unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14-day deferment period), occupational personal accident insurance eases the financial burden of accidents and injuries. A lump sum is paid in instances of loss of limbs, damage to sight, speech or hearing, permanent disablement, or death. Limits range from £100/week to £500/week for temporary total disablement and £25k to £100k lump sums for permanent total disablement.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    In an ever-evolving digital world, protecting your data and equipment against cyber-attacks is essential. Cyber and data risks insurance is there to cover the costs should an attack be successful, informing clients and meeting ransom costs. In addition, this type of insurance pays any damages you’re liable to pay clients and other parties should this occur. This is particularly essential for those who have confidential data on their devices.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly

IPSE affiliate

Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Do you provide proof of cover for H&S insurance?

    Yes. If you need professional indemnity insurance to secure a contract, when you purchase your policy with us, your documents are emailed to you instantly and include a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document detailing the cover you have with us. This can be presented to agencies and clients as proof of cover.

  • Is my past work covered?

    We cover past work if you have held professional indemnity insurance uninterrupted prior to arranging your policy with us.

    If there was a period where you did not have professional indemnity insurance in force, we are unable to cover past work. This includes if you have never arranged professional indemnity insurance before, you chose not to renew a previous policy, or you cancelled a previous policy at the end of a contract.

    If you require further clarification, don't hesitate to call us on 0800 640 6600.

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence. This means you would be covered if you made an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. Public liability insurance also covers against damage to third party property – for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • How much cover is right for my business?

    Regulated industry bodies and many clients will need you to have arranged a minimum level of cover before awarding you work, so it's worth checking these figures before you arrange cover.

    If it's the first time you have arranged cover, or you aren't sure of the specifics, think about the costs involved in putting right the mistakes in a worst-cast scenario. We offer a range of limits on insurance, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel's health and safety consultants insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants, and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of $1.2 billion in 2018.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority. You can find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Expect more from your insurer.

When you take out cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

Access to our fee dispute service to assist with unpaid invoices

Discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

A specialist cyber response helpline for help in the event of a cyber attack

Discover more about our support services.

Cover starting at £5 a month