Interior designer insurance

Specialist cover for interior designers from as little as £5 a month

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Specialist interior designer insurance is not easy to find.

With over 25 years experience, we have unrivalled knowledge of the risks facing professionals, and our interior designer insurance policy can be tailored to provide comprehensive cover against the risks facing your business.

A mistake in specifying suitable materials, a visitor injuring themselves at your offices or the theft of a computer with expensive interior design software could cost your business thousands of pounds. Our interior design insurance can give you the peace of mind you are covered against these risks and more.

Building your interior designer insurance policy is quick and easy. Our simple quote system will ask you about your business activities and offer you covers that may be of interest. You can choose to buy as many or as few covers as you like, so you will only ever pay for the cover you want.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.7 stars from 396 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Tailor your interior designers insurance online with these specialist covers

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you. This is important insurance for interior designers and cover is available with limits ranging from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business or supplying products. For example, if you were to accidentally damage a client's furnishings during a visit, you could be held liable. The legal fees alone could cost your business thousands of pounds. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer’s liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Free from mobile & landline


Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I supply furnishings as part of my service to clients - is this covered?

    Yes. If you supply furnishings (such as sofas, carpets and curtains), as part of your service, this is covered by our policy. Please note that we cannot offer cover if you manufacture these products yourself.

    View details

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance is different - it covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • I need to arrange insurance to start work - do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. We provide a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document (detailing the cover you have with us) as part of the documents that are emailed to you if you purchase your policy with us. You can present this document to agencies and clients as proof that you are insured.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    Established over 25 years ago, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks facing professionals and our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    We're regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority, and you can view our details on the Financial Services Register. We're a division of Markel International, a Lloyd's and London market insurer that wrote gross premiums of £800m ($1.2 billion) in 2015.

    Still not sure? Call us on 0800 640 6600 - one of our insurance experts will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and talk you through the insurance we offer so you can choose the right cover for your business. Alternatively, get an online quote in 90 seconds now and call us later if anything needs clarifying.

We offer a specialist policy for home based interior designers

As well as our 'office based' insurance policy, we offer a homeworkers policy that is specially designed to cover the risks facing home businesses and professionals working from home. Home insurance policies rarely include cover for mistakes you make in your work (such as design errors), so ensure you arrange specialist homeworker insurance that will properly cover your business.

You can tailor your policy to the individual needs of your interior design business. We offer a range of limits on each cover, so regardless of the size of your business, you are sure to find insurance that is right for you.

You can choose from a range of easy payment methods too, including the option to spread the cost of your policy over 10 interest free instalments. With cover starting at just £5/month, you will struggle to find better value interior designers insurance elsewhere.

Cover starting at just £5 a month