Alarm, CCTV & Security Installer Insurance

Specialist insurance for alarm, CCTV and security installers from £10 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

The work you do helps to protect people and property, but it’s important that you take steps to keep your own business safe too. Whether you specialise in alarm, CCTV or security system installation, you’ll know better than anyone that unforeseen events can have huge consequences for your business.

You might accidentally injure someone as a result of your work, a system you install could fail and cause a client to suffer a theft, or your equipment may be stolen, lost or damaged, for example. In cases like these, you could be left facing major costs.

At Markel Direct, we offer tailored alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance that will help to protect your finances and give you added peace of mind.

What is alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance?

Alarm, security system and CCTV installer insurance refers to a package of cover options designed to suit the needs of people working in your industry. It usually starts with public and product liability protection and often also includes tools insurance, employers’ liability cover, occupational personal accident insurance and more.

At Markel, we can tailor our policies to match your precise requirements, meaning you benefit from the financial protection you need without paying for unnecessary cover.

Get a quote now

Public liability insurance for alarm, CCTV and security installers

As an installer of alarms, CCTV or security systems, you will frequently come into contact with members of the public and their property. This is why public liability insurance is considered a must for many businesses like yours. It covers you for any injury or property damage you cause to a customer or member of the public as a result of your work.

For example, imagine you are installing a new security system in a customer’s home. As you try to position one of the alarms high up on the exterior of the property, you accidentally drop a tool, which lands on the customer and causes serious head injuries. A case like this could result in major compensation costs and legal fees. Public liability insurance for security system installers is there to cover such expenses, helping to safeguard your finances.

Do I need alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance?

As an alarm, CCTV or security system installer, you might need certain types of insurance. Having suitable business insurance in place can help to make the difference between success and failure in your industry. After all, no matter how careful you are, there is always a risk that problems will arise. And if you lack appropriate insurance, the effects on your finances could be serious.

For example, if you accidentally damage a client’s property while fitting an alarm or security system, could you cover the cost of repairs? Or what if a client sues you because a solution you provide fails and this causes a break-in to go undetected? If you may struggle to cope with the financial fallout of situations like these, it’s wise to have liability insurance in place.

You should also consider the tools and equipment you rely on to do your job. If these were to be damaged, stolen or lost, would you be able to pay to repair or replace them? If not, it’s wise to have tools insurance in place for such eventualities.

Another type of financial cover to be aware of is employer’s’ liability insurance. If you have anyone working for you, including contractors or temporary employees, you are legally required to take out this type of financial protection.

Why choose Markel Direct for alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance?

Here are just some of the reasons to choose Markel for your alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance:

✔ Cover designed to fit your needs

You have very specific insurance needs as an alarm, CCTV or security system installer. Our cover policies reflect this, offering tailored protection that matches your precise requirements.  

✔ Quick and easy quotes

Getting a quote from us is quick and easy. Simply fill in our online form and we’ll provide a quote in as little as 90 seconds.  

✔ Transparent prices

When you come to us for alarm, CCTV or security installer insurance, you don’t have to worry about being hit with hidden fees. Our prices are fully transparent.

✔ Legal advice when you need it

When you need legal advice, we’re here for you. We operate a 24/7 legal helpline run by experienced solicitors.  

✔ Highly rated by customers

To find out what our customers think of our trades insurance, check out our impressive ratings on   

How to buy alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance

Buying CCTV, security system and alarm installer insurance from us is simple. Just complete our online quote form and we’ll offer you a personalised quote in under two minutes.

If you decide to go ahead and purchase cover from us, you can choose whether to start your insurance immediately or arrange protection up to 30 days in advance.

How much does alarm, CCTV and security installer insurance cost?

Just like the security systems you install, the financial protection you need will be bespoke. This means there is no one set price for insurance. The amount you pay is dependent on factors such as the level of protection you’re looking for, the types of insurance you want and the size of your company.

Find out how much your insurance will cost by getting a quote on our website today.

*Price based on an alarm installer requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £10 a month

What types of insurance do alarm, CCTV and security installers need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance protects you as an installer from claims made by clients or members of the public who suffer an injury or damage to their property because of your work. We offer policies with cover limits of between £1 million and £5 million.
    Example of a claim:
    A client trips over a tool kit you have left by the door, breaking their leg as a result. They sue you over their injuries.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance is there to cover compensation costs and legal fees if a worker sues you over an injury or illness they suffer due to their job. You are required by law to have a minimum of £5 million of this type of cover if you employ anyone. Our policies are available with a limit of £10 million.
    Example of a claim:
    While one of your employees is working at a height fitting an alarm, the ladder they are standing on breaks, causing them to fall and suffer serious injuries. They take legal action to cover their suffering and lost earnings.

  • Tools insurance

    Tools insurance protects you if the equipment you rely on to do your installation work is stolen, damaged or lost. Our policies are available with limits of £1,000 and £5,000. You have the choice of insuring your tools around the clock or only during working hours (8am – 8pm).
    Example of a claim:
    The storage unit where you keep your tools is broken into and a number of valuable pieces of equipment are taken, meaning you have to buy replacements.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance supports your income if you’re not able to work because of an injury you sustain due to your job. It can either provide a lump sum or weekly payments, depending on the type of injury you suffer.

  • Owned plant insurance

    Owned plant insurance covers you if you have to repair or replace your own plant machinery because it has been stolen or damaged. We offer cover with limits of between £10,000 and £50,000.

  • Hired in plant insurance

    Hired in plant insurance protects you if you hire plant equipment from a third party provider and it’s stolen or damaged. Our policies are available with cover limits of between £10,000 and £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Contract works insurance is there to protect your finances if you have to pay to redo or repair work you have carried out on a construction site in the event of a theft, fire, flood or act of malicious damage.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    Goods in transit insurance pays out if your goods are damaged or lost while being moved from one location to another. It can cover items being moved by a courier or in your own vehicles.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance is there to protect your finances if a client sues you because they believe you have made a mistake in the advice or service you have offered.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £10 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Is business insurance a legal requirement for alarm, CCTV and security system installers?

    No, most types of insurance are not a legal requirement for alarm, CCTV and security system installers. However, if you have people working for you, you are required by law to take out employers’ liability cover.
    Also, note that while other forms of cover may not be mandatory, lacking the right protection could put your finances at serious risk.

  • Can I just cover my most expensive tools?

    When you purchase tools insurance from us, we require you to cover all your equipment. This means you’re fully protected should something go wrong. If you fail to get insurance for all your equipment, this could result in a claim not being covered, or you receiving a smaller sum in compensation.

  • What should I do if a client asks me for proof of insurance?

    You may find that certain clients ask you for proof of insurance before they will hire you to install a security system. If they do, you can show them the 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' that we email you as soon as you buy protection from us.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. For further details, you can visit the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your alarm, CCTV and security installing business when you arrange cover with Markel, including:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

 Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting from £10 a month