Sports coach insurance

Specialist cover for sports coaches and trainers from £5 a month*

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

From over 25 years experience, our specialist insurance for sports coaches, trainers and instructors has been designed to cover a wide range of risks facing your industry.

Why do sports coaches need insurance?

 Due to the very nature of sports coaching and instruction, accidents can happen. A training plan that doesn't deliver the expected results, a client tripping over a weight that has been left around or the theft of a laptop used to play music during sessions could see a claim brought against you and have a severe financial impact on your business.

Even a claim made against you for a minor injury like bruising, could result in a costly 'soft tissue injury' claim for your business without the right cover.

Our specialist cover for sports coaches and trainers provides cover against these scenarios and many more, ensuring that if something unexpected happens in the course of your work, you will be covered.

What does sports coaching insurance cover?

Unlike many insurance packages for sports coaches, we can help you customise your policy to meet the needs of your coaching business.

Sports coaching insurance from Markel Direct can cover a range of coaching professionals including triathlon coaches, gymnastic coaches, golf instructors, badminton coach and more sports.

Examples of the risks we can cover include:

  • A client spraining their ankle while experimenting with a new gymnastics routine
  • A student’s parent tripping over a step in poor light while on your premises
  • A student slipping over a water spillage on the training grounds
  • A client’s property being damaged, for example, if you were to accidentally damage a client’s phone during a training session.

As well as this, our policy automatically provides cover for training clients remotely, including using a video service such as Zoom or Skype. With this, your sessions/instruction must be done on a live basis and to your client (or clients, if part of a group session) only.

For more information, read our guide to insurance for fitness professionals.

Get a quote now

How much does sports coaching insurance cost?

Sports coach insurance from Markel Direct starts from £5 a month.

As we don’t take a one size fits all approach with our insurance, this means that the cost of cover varies for each individual business. Factors that can determine the cost of your insurance include:

  • The number of employees you have
  • The level of cover you take out
  • The activities you undertake in your business

If you experience a change in circumstances and you need to cancel your policy with us, there are no hidden or cancellations fees.

We provide all clients with instant proof of cover, allowing you to get straight to work with the peace of mind that your business is protected.

How to buy sports coach insurance

Getting a quote is fast and easy - we'll ask you a few questions about your activities and provide you with a price in under 90 seconds.

You can tailor your policy to include as much or as little cover as you want, and you have the option to spread the cost of your insurance over 10 interest free monthly instalments - get a quote now!

*Price based on a sports coach requiring occupational personal accident insurance cover at £100 per week for temporary total disablement, or a £25,000 lump sum for permanent total disablement.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at £5 a month

Build your sports coach insurance with these covers

  • Public liability and professional indemnity insurance

    Public liability and professional indemnity insurance offers comprehensive protection against the cost of defending your fitness business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving incorrect instruction or coaching to a client) and if unsuccessful, the cost of damages awarded against you.

    In addition, it covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured, or their property damaged, which arises from you going about your business. Examples of claims include:

    • You advise a client how to perform an exercise, however they fall while doing it and injure themselves. They take legal action against you, alleging you failed to properly explain the move.
    • You produce a personalised training plan for a client, however they don’t achieve the goals they were promised. They take legal action against you, alleging your training was inadequate.
    • A client trips over a weight that has been left lying around and injures their hip. They are unable to work and make a personal injury claim against you seeking compensation.
    • You help a client stretch following an exercise session, however you push the muscle too far and it tears. The client takes legal action against you for the injury suffered.

    This cover is often a requirement of gyms, village halls and other rented premises before they will allow you to begin your training sessions and is generally considered vital cover for fitness coaching professionals of all descriptions. Limits range from £1m to £5m.

  • Employer’s liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees.  It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If you employ other school inspectors, this cover is essential. Cover for £10m.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. There is a limit of £100,000.

    If a client takes legal action against you because of an error you have made, this cover can prevent you from needing to use your own finances to cover legal expenses.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £100,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14 day deferment period).

    In the event of loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death, a lump sum would be paid out.

    Few personal trainers and fitness instructors are fortunate enough to not be injured in the course of their profession, and occupational personal accident insurance can help you maintain an income if you were unable to work following an accident while working for your business.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance pays the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit following a cyber attack. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. If you hold confidential information about your clients, their training plans and other sensitive information about them on computers and other internet connected devices, you should give consideration to this cover.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence - which means it would cover you if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work (such as a project or report) for a client.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    As they insure against different scenarios, it's important you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected.

  • I do bootcamp and other sessions outside - is this covered?

    Yes. Bootcamp classes and other workout sessions outside are covered by our policy.

  • Do I need a current first aid certificate to be covered?

    No. Although it is advisable for you to have one in case something were to happen during a workout, it is not something that we insist on.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Many clients and industry bodies with regulatory requirements will require you to have a minimum level of cover in order for you to undertake a contract, so it's worth checking this before you arrange cover. If you're unsure, or it's the first time you have arranged cover, give some thought to a worst-case scenario and the likely costs involved in putting your mistake right. We offer a range of limits on insurance, so you're sure to find the right cover for your business.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of £1.09bn in 2020.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel Direct regulated?

    Markel International Insurance Company Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Find out more on the Financial Services Register.

Access these useful services at no additional cost

As a specialist insurer of sports and fitness professionals, we offer our policyholders access to these helpful services that make your life easier (included as standard with the relevant section of cover).

24 hour legal helpline  24 hour legal advice helpline

When you insure with Markel, you'll benefit from 24/7 telephone access to a qualified solicitor at no additional cost. Expert legal advice can be costly when you're working for yourself and it's difficult to know who to turn to for a trustworthy answer. Whether it's a question on health and safety, employment law, legal structures for your business or how to handle a difficult client, an experienced team of solicitors are on hand day and night to help you with any business-related legal queries. Included as standard with all policies.

Legal hub access Markel Business Hub access

In addition to our 24 hour legal helpline, you'll have access to the Markel Business Hub - an award winning online resource of legal and business guides, templates and content written and created by our team of expert solicitors. Instantly download ready-made contracts, policies, procedures and guidance you can use for your business - without paying any expensive legal fees. Included as standard with all policies.

  Fee dispute service

Chasing unpaid invoices is frustrating for all sports coaches. We offer our policyholders access to a unique fee dispute helpline operated by one of the UK's leading law firms, who will provide specialist legal guidance and support on fee dispute issues. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance.

  Public relations crisis management service

Public relations disasters can occur at any time, particularly in today's 'blame and claim' culture. Having to deal with the press whilst managing a difficult situation can be hugely stressful as well as being a potential minefield. When there is a risk to your business as a result of negative press attention, our specialist public relations crisis management firm, The Counsel House, will work with you to help manage allegations of fraud, injury caused to employees or the public, and official investigations into your company's affairs. Included as standard with public liability and professional indemnity insurance, directors and officers insurance, cyber and data risks insurance and legal representation and employment disputes insurance.

  Cyber response helpline

If you're the victim of a targeted cyber attack, our cyber response helpline provides access to specialist solicitors and information security experts who will give expert legal and technical IT security guidance on the issues arising from cyber and data protection risks. Included as standard with cyber and data risks insurance.

Cover starting at £5 a month