Club, society and association insurance

Specialist cover for clubs, societies and associations of all descriptions from £6 a month*

Arrange a callback
  • Fast & easy online quote - be covered today

  • Help from community insurance experts

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Our specialist club insurance offers comprehensive protection for a wide range of organisations and societies:

What is specialist club insurance?

Specialist social club insurance is here to protect you if the building you use or its contents get damaged, or if visitors or employees are injured at the premises. From property damage insurance to public liability insurance for clubs and societies, there are a range of types of cover you can have in place for protection should the worst happen.

With over 25 years’ experience insuring clubs and societies, Markel’s policies have been designed to cover against the unexpected. Examples of this include:

  • A member of the club injuring themselves
  • an allegation of wrongdoing against a committee member
  • damage caused to property or equipment owned by the club.

Any of these circumstances could have severe consequences for your club or society. Our specialist cover will give you the peace of mind that if something unforeseen happens, you’ll be covered.

How to take out a policy

Arranging your insurance with us is simple. Answer a few questions about your group using our fast and easy quote form and find a range of different covers that may be of interest to you. Our club insurance is available from £6 a month, so don’t delay getting your quote today.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google


Cover starting at £3 a month

Insurance for clubs, societies, and associations

  • Public liability insurance and employers' liability insurance

    To ensure comprehensive protection against claims, we group our public liability insurance for clubs and employers' liability insurance together.

    Public liability insurance covers the cost of defending your club, society or association if someone is injured, or their property damaged, due to your negligence. It covers you against the most common risks in your industry including personal injuries.

    If a club member were to be injured during an event, or if a member of the public slipped and broke their wrist – these common 'slips, trips and falls' are personal injuries. Public liability insurance covers the legal fees and compensation payments that would be payable. Cover for £5m.

    Employers' liability insurance is a legal requirement if you employ staff or volunteers. It covers against allegations of injury or illness suffered by staff during their employment. This cover is essential if your club, society or association hires employees, regardless of whether they are casual, part-time or full-time workers. Cover is for £10m.

  • Professional indemnity insurance and trustee indemnity insurance

    To ensure comprehensive protection against claims, we group our professional indemnity insurance and trustee liability insurance together.

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your club, society, or association against allegations of professional negligence. If your club provides training, education or advice to its members, professional indemnity insurance can protect against claims that may be made against you if the service is substandard. It covers the legal fees, as well as any compensation that may be payable. Cover is available from £250,000 to £1m.

    Trustee indemnity insurance (also known as trustee liability insurance) covers the legal costs and expenses of defending against disqualification as a trustee, investigations, or extradition proceedings. If your club, society or association is registered as a charity or has trustees, you should give serious consideration to trustee indemnity insurance. Cover is available from £250,000 to £1m.

  • Property damage insurance

    Property damage insurance covers:

    • your buildings
    • general contents (including stock)
    • computer equipment
    • tenant improvements and glass (for which you are responsible) against accidental damage (including theft) while on your group’s premises.

    You can also choose to insure your community group’s equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure against additional trading expenses following an interruption.

    If, for example, there is a flood which means your group has to operate from another premises, this cover will help.



  • Legal representation and employment disputes insurance

    Legal representation and employment disputes insurance protects your group against employment disputes. This includes:

    • official investigations
    • crisis management
    • identity fraud
    • official investigations (excluding HMRC)
    • corporate manslaughter
    • pollution
    • data protection issues

    Cover is available for up to £100,000.

  • Money and personal assault

    Money and personal assault insurance covers loss of money for fixed limits. This is up to a maximum of £250,000 for non-negotiable money (e.g. crossed cheques) and £2,500 for negotiable money depending on the nature of the loss.

    In addition to this, if you, or members of your family, or employees, or members of their family, are injured during a robbery or attempted robbery, we will pay you either £5,000 or £50 per week for 104 weeks (depending on the nature of the injury).

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance protects your group in the event of a targeted cyber-attack. It pays the costs of:

    • restoring data and equipment
    • informing clients
    • meeting ransom demands
    • loss of your net profit.

    It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties. Cover is available from £50kto £250k.

  • Fidelity insurance

    Fidelity insurance protects your group against dishonesty or fraud by volunteers or employees. This could be, for example, if the volunteer who handles your accounts was found to have stolen money from the group’s funds for their own personal benefit. Cover for £50k.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance helps your group’s volunteers and employees if they are accidentally injured in the course of your activities. It pays a weekly amount for temporary total disablement, or a lump sum if they suffer loss of limbs, sight, speech, hearing, permanent total disablement or death. Limits from £100 per week/£25k lump sum to £500/week/£100k lump sum.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Free from mobile & landline

Third Sector Awards headline sponsor Carers Trust are our supported charity

Cover starting at £3 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Are volunteers covered by the policy?

    Yes, volunteers are covered with the employer's liability and public liability section of the policy. As long as you purchase this section of cover, your volunteers will be covered.

  • Why do clubs need specialist insurance?

    Specialist club insurance ensures that any areas where an issue could arise are covered. Whether that’s cyber insurance in case of a data breach, property damage cover if there’s a flood or a fire, or public liability insurance in case of injury, club insurance is available to provide maximum cover.

    View details

  • Can we get insurance if we’re not a registered club?

    Yes – you don’t need to be a registered charity to get cover for your group. Many of our clients are small charities or community organisations that are new or are too small to be a registered charity.

  • Are events covered under the public liability section?

    Yes. The public liability section of the policy does provide cover for charity events (such as fundraising) for up to 500 attendees.

  • Can you insure us if we don't have a regular meeting place?

    Yes, we can insure you if your meeting space isn’t the same each time. We cover hundreds of groups and clubs which don't have a regular meeting place and instead switch between different venues each time, such as members' homes, village halls and community centres.

  • Why should I insure with Markel?

    As a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s of London market insurer, we've gained an unrivalled understanding of the risks that small charities and community groups face. This is why our policies are specially designed to protect you.

    If you’re still not sure why to choose Markel, call us on 0800 640 6604 and one of our insurance experts will be happy to answer any questions you have and explain the insurance available for your charity or group.

  • Is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you can find on the Financial Services Register.

Access these exclusive services for your club, society or association

When you take out cover with Markel, you also receive these exclusive services as standard:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Legal templates and resources with Markel's Business Hub

 Public relations crisis management service

 A specialist cyber response helpline for help in the event of a cyber attack


Discover more about additional services


Cover starting at just £6 a month

Our support of the community and charity sector

As a specialist insurer of for small charities and community groups, we are only too aware of the importance of these organisations and we support the sector in a number of ways.

Britain's Best Volunteer award

Britain's Best Volunteer award, run in partnership with Small Charities Coalition, celebrates the achievements of those who volunteer their time to help small charities, local community groups and not-for-profit organisations.

The winner receives a donation of £1,250 to their charity, while each runner-up finalist receives a £250 donation, as well as generating valuable awareness for small groups that may otherwise struggle to be heard above other, larger charities.

In this video, Liz Glenister, winner of Britain's Best Volunteer award 2016, talks about Hypopara UK's story - the inspiration behind it, the challenges faced and how Britain's Best Volunteer award will help the charity.

Carers Trust - our supported charity

Carers Trust work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. Carers don’t choose to become carers: it just happens and they have to get on with it. We've raised over £150,000 for this deserving cause through cake sales, dress down days, sponsorship and challenges. In addition, each Christmas we donate around 100 hand-wrapped gifts to our local carers centre to give to isolated carers that are unable to travel far from home.

Carers Trust Christmas gifts

Third Sector Awards - headline sponsor

The Third Sector Awards recognise those who give back to the community and celebrates organisations and leaders from across the charity sector. As headline sponsors, we are proud to support the awards and the opportunity it gives charities to raise their profile and increase valuable awareness of their cause.

Third Sector Awards - headline sponsor

Cover starting at £3 a month