Corporate social responsibility
We have a very strong commitment to charities, the local community and the environment. Our policy is to:
- Support local community projects through the direct involvement of employees
- Encourage employees to seek new ways to support charitable and environmental causes, both individually and collectively
- Respond to national/global catastrophes and deprivation by assisting with staff fund-raising where requested and arranging for matching of donations or sponsorship in line with the Markel Match Programme
- Provide corporate donations of cash or time to selective welfare organisations and charitable bodies
- Organise specific fund-raising activities to supplement corporate donations
We grant every employee up to three days of paid leave a year to volunteer on community projects, and we are a member of The Lloyd’s Community Programme. This promotes involvement in the Lloyd’s community and helps improve the opportunities and living conditions of people in Tower Hamlets and neighbouring London boroughs.
Our support of the community and charity sector
As a specialist insurer of for small charities and community groups, we are only too aware of the importance of these organisations and we support the sector in a number of ways.
Carers Trust - our supported charity
Carers Trust work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. Carers don’t choose to become carers: it just happens and they have to get on with it. Since 2008, we've raised over £150,000 for this deserving cause through cake sales, dress down days, sponsorship and challenges. In addition, each Christmas we donate around 100 hand-wrapped gifts to our local carers centre to give to isolated carers that are unable to travel far from home.
Third Sector Awards - headline sponsor
The Third Sector Awards recognise those who give back to the community and celebrates organisations and leaders from across the charity sector. As headline sponsors, we are proud to support the awards and the opportunity it gives charities to raise their profile and increase valuable awareness of their cause.
"Our goal is to minimise our environmental impact while adhering to our corporate philosophy, expressed in the Markel Style."
We will use only necessary consumables, and we will recycle wherever possible. We review our environmental performance continuously.
To help us achieve these goals, we stay fully informed about the latest environmental developments and practices.