Cleaners Insurance

Specialist insurance for cleaners from £7 a month*.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Levels of cover to suit you

  • Pay by interest free direct debit

Whether you’re a residential or commercial cleaner, a lot can go wrong in your line of work. You’re dealing with chemical substances, electrical equipment, slippery surfaces and a range of other hazards.

From suffering an injury yourself or causing harm to a client or member of the public to damaging someone’s home or business premises, you have to be prepared for the worst. This means it’s essential to have suitable financial protection in place.

At Markel Direct, we offer tailored insurance packages designed to suit your specific needs as a cleaner. We’re here to safeguard your finances and allow you to concentrate on the task at hand.

What is cleaners’ insurance?

Cleaners’ insurance refers to the package of cover options available to self-employed cleaners and cleaning businesses. It typically includes public liability insurance. Other popular types of cover range from tools insurance to employers’ liability cover, professional indemnity insurance, occupational accident insurance and more. At Markel Direct, we provide a full range of policy options for you to choose from.

Get a quote now

Public liability insurance for cleaners

As a cleaner, there’s always a chance that you’ll cause accidental injury or property damage. This is simply a risk of the job. Public liability insurance for a cleaning business or self-employed cleaner is there to protect you in these instances. It covers the cost of claims made by customers or members of the public for injury or damage caused by your work.  

For example, you might be mopping the floor of a canteen when a member of the public slips on the wet surface, or you could be vacuuming a property when the homeowner trips over the electrical cable. Or perhaps you accidentally spill bleach on an expensive carpet, drop an ornament while dusting or scratch a window while polishing it. No matter how careful you are, you can’t eliminate the risk of accidents like this occurring, and if they do, you could be left facing major costs unless you have suitable public liability insurance for cleaners in place.

Do I need cleaners’ insurance?

As a professional cleaner, you no doubt take great pride and care in the work you do. However, you can’t think of everything, and problems may arise. Possessions could get broken and people may be injured. Unless you would be prepared to cover the costs associated with these accidents yourself, you should seriously consider taking out cleaning liability insurance. It’s also important to be aware that some clients may insist you have public liability cover before they will do business with you.

You might want to take out insurance to cover your tools as well. As a cleaner, you rely on specialist equipment to get the job done, and some of this doesn’t come cheap. If your equipment was to be stolen or damaged, you might face a large bill to replace or repair it. Having tools cover in place as part of your house cleaning insurance or commercial cleaning insurance policy will ensure you’re not left counting the cost.

If you have anyone working for you, even if this is on a temporary or a part-time basis, it’s important to be aware that you’re required by law to take out employers’ liability insurance too. 

Why choose Markel Direct for cleaners’ insurance?

There are lots of reasons why it pays to choose Markel Direct for your commercial or domestic cleaning insurance. For example:

✔ Protection tailored to your needs

We offer cleaning service insurance that is tailored to your precise needs, meaning you only pay for what you actually need.

✔ No hidden fees

Thanks to our fully transparent pricing system, you don’t have to worry about being hit with unexpected fees.

✔ Quick quotes

It takes less than two minutes to get a quote from us. All you have to do is fill in our simple online form and we’ll do the rest.

✔ Legal advice available 24/7

If you find yourself in a tricky situation, you’ll want access to legal advice immediately. Thanks to our 24/7 legal advice helpline staffed by experienced solicitors, that’s exactly what you’ll get.

✔ Impressive customer ratings

Our customer ratings on speak for themselves. Check them out to see what our clients think about our services.

How to buy cleaners’ insurance

Purchasing self-employed cleaner insurance from us couldn’t be easier. Simply fill in our online quote form and we’ll give you a personalised quote.

You can either start your cover immediately or arrange a policy to start up to 30 days in advance. The choice is yours.

How much does cleaners’ insurance cost?

The cost of insurance for a cleaning company or self-employed cleaner depends on a number of factors. For example, the size of your business will have an impact, as will the types of cover you choose and the level of protection you go for.

For more information, simply get a quote today.

*Price based on a cleaner requiring £1 million of public liability insurance.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Markel Direct - Feefo Platinum Trusted Service Award

Cover starting from £7 a month

What insurance do cleaners need?

  • Public liability insurance

    Public liability insurance is designed to protect you from claims made by members of the public or customers who experience personal injury or property damage because of the actions of your business. Our policies are available with cover limits of between £1 million and £5 million.
    Example of a claim:
    While you’re dusting a high-spec television, it topples off its stand and breaks. The customer seeks compensation from you to cover the cost of replacing it.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    Employers’ liability insurance protects you if a worker suffers an illness or injury as a result of their work. You’re required by law to have a minimum of £5 million of this cover in place if you have any employees. Our policies have a limit of £10 million.
    Example of a claim:
    One of your workers develops a skin rash after coming into contact with a cleaning chemical. They take legal action against you for their suffering. 

  • Tools insurance

    Tools insurance compensates you if the equipment you use in your cleaning business is stolen, damaged or lost. We offer cover limits of between £1,000 and £5,000, and you have the choice of covering your tools during working hours only (8am – 8pm) or protecting them on a 24-hour basis for added peace of mind.
    Example of a claim:
    Thieves break into your work vehicle while it’s parked outside a client’s home, stealing valuable equipment. You have to buy replacements.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance is designed to support your income if you’re unable to work because of an injury you suffer due to your job. It either provides a lump sum or weekly payments, depending on the nature of your injury.

  • Owned plant insurance

    Owned plant insurance protects you if you have to repair or replace your own plant machinery because it has been damaged or stolen. We offer cover limits of between £10,000 and £50,000.

  • Hired in plant insurance

    Hired in plant insurance offers cover if you hire plant machinery from a third party and it’s stolen or damaged. Our cover limits range from £10,000 to £50,000.

  • Contract works insurance

    Contract works insurance covers the costs of repairing or redoing work on a construction site in the event of a flood, fire, theft or act of malicious damage.

  • Goods in transit insurance

    Goods in transit insurance offers protection for your goods if they are being transported from one location to another and are lost or damaged along the way. It can cover items being moved by a third-party carrier or your own vehicles.

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance protects you if a client takes legal action because you have made a mistake in the service you have provided.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

Local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting from £7 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Can I insure just my most expensive cleaning tools?

    No, with our tools insurance, you must cover all of your equipment. This is to make sure that you are fully protected in the event of a claim. Failing to get insurance for all of your equipment may result in your claim not being covered, or you receiving a smaller amount.

  • Is business insurance a legal requirement for cleaners?

    You are not legally required to take out cleaners’ insurance unless you have employees, in which case you are obliged by law to have employers’ liability cover in place. However, even though other types of protection are not mandatory, it’s important to consider the possible financial consequences if you lack the relevant types of protection.

  • What should I do if a client asks me for proof of insurance?

    You may find that a client asks you for proof of insurance before they will allow you to clean for them. This is especially common if you’re working on commercial cleaning projects. If a customer does request this proof, simply show them the 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' that we will email you as soon as you buy insurance from us.

  • How is Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Prudential Regulation Authority and Financial Conduct Authority. If you would like more details, visit the Financial Services Register.

Access free legal services for your cleaning business when you arrange cover with Markel, including:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 access to a legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Access legal templates and resources with the Markel Business Hub

 Receive discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

 Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

Cover starting from £7 a month