Home business insurance

Expert home-based business insurance tailored to you from just £5 a month.

  • Fast, easy online quote in 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

We provide specialist home business insurance to for a wide range of industries, tailored to your requirements.

What is home business insurance?

Specialist home business insurance (also known as home based business insurance) is designed to protect those who run a business from home. There are different types of insurance for home-based businesses, covering everything from specialist policies for business equipment to public liability should you interact with clients or members of the public.

Our home business insurance has a wide range of cover so you can purchase the right insurance for you.

Why do home businesses need insurance?

As a specialist insurer, we understand the unique risks facing home businesses.

Our home business insurance can offer you expert cover tailored for your business.

Unlike many insurers who adopt a 'one-size-fits-all' approach, our policies allow you to select only the cover you want. An error in your work, damage you cause to a client's property or the theft of an expensive laptop could cost your business thousands of pounds. Our specialist small home business insurance can cater for these risks.

What can home business insurance cover?

With different levels of coverage available, you can fit your home based business insurance to your situation. Here are just a few different scenarios in which it can protect your business against significant financial loss:

Your employees

Our home business insurance can be tailored to include employers' liability insurance, which is essential if you hire employees for your home based business. It covers costs arising due to injury or illness to your employee as a result of working for your business.

Injury caused to third parties

If you regularly interact with members of the public as part of your business, public liability insurance can protect you against allegations of injury (or damage to third party property).

Theft of equipment

Whether you use standard technology like a laptop or have thousands of pounds worth of specialist equipment, our business equipment insurance can protect your vital tech.

How to arrange insurance for your home business

Obtaining home business insurance is a quick and easy process with Markel. Get a fast quote online by answering a few questions about your business.

There are a range of covers to choose from, allowing you to build an insurance policy tailored to your needs.

We’ll send your policy documents instantly, including proof of the insurance obtained.

How much will it cost?

While your choice of home business insurance depends on the level of cover you choose, we offer profession-based cover starting at just £5 a month.

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Tailor your home business insurance to your needs with these covers

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against claims of professional negligence, such as providing incorrect or wrongful advice to a client. This includes the cost of defending your business and any compensation awarded against you, protecting you financially should something go wrong. Cover is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m – an essential consideration for all home businesses owners.

  • Public and product liability insurance

    Public and product liability insurance is an important consideration if you regularly deal with clients or customers. It covers the cost of defending your business (including damages awarded against you if unsuccessful) if someone is injured or their property damaged, arising from you going about your business or supplying products. Limits range between £1m to £5m.

  • Employers' liability insurance

    A legal requirement for any business that hires employees, employers' liability insurance from Markel offers cover for £10m. This will protect your business against claims for employee injury or illness arising from their employment.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance covers the cost of legal expenses in the case of employment contract disputes, tax enquires, personal injury, jury duty and debt recovery. Limit of £100,000.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    With limits ranging from £100,000 to £5m, directors and officers insurance covers the cost of defending directors or officers against allegations of wrongful acts and subsequent damages awarded against you. Also applies to defending actions for disqualification, investigations and extradition proceedings.  

  • Home office insurance

    Home office insurance is essential for working from home. It covers the contents of your office from accidental damage and theft. You can choose to extend the cover on a worldwide basis should you need to travel and bring equipment with you.

  • Occupational personal accident insurance

    Occupational personal accident insurance provides a weekly payment if you are unable to work due to temporary total disablement (subject to a 14-day deferment period). In the event of loss of limbs, damage to sight, speech or hearing, permanent total disablement or death, a lump sum would be paid out. Having this cover can help ease the financial burden if you would struggle to maintain an income following an accident.

    Limits range from £100 per week to £500 per week for temporary total disablement or a £25k lump sum to £100k lump sum for permanent total disablement.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Keeping your business safe against the effects of a cyber attack is essential. Cyber and data risks insurance covers the cost of restoring equipment, ransom demands and any financial damages caused by cyber-attacks. This is a particularly important type of cover should your business handle confidential information in its day-to-day activity.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly


Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • I already have household insurance – do I need separate insurance for home business?

    It depends on the type of household policy you have. If you have a standard household insurance policy, it is highly unlikely you will have essential home business insurance cover included - such as professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance.

    You may already have cover for certain business equipment under your standard policy, such as a laptop. We would recommend checking your policy to be sure of exactly what cover you have before applying for insurance for home business.

  • Do I have to pay business rates for working from home?

    If you use a small part of your home (e.g., a spare bedroom or home office) to run your business or sell goods by post, you don’t usually have to pay business rates.

    Running a business under any of the following circumstances may require you to pay business rates:

    • your property is part business and part domestic
    • you sell goods to people visiting the property
    • you have employees working from your home
    • you’ve made changes to your home specifically for your business.
  • What's the difference between professional indemnity and public liability?

    Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence. It would cover your business if you were to make an error or mistake in a piece of work for a client.

    Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury or illness caused to third parties by your negligence. This includes many of the slips, trips and falls that are associated with personal injury claims. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property - for example, if you were to damage a client-owned laptop or smartphone.

    It’s vital that you consider arranging both types of cover to ensure you are properly protected against each potential outcome.

  • I need to arrange home business insurance to start work - do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. We immediately provide a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document that details the cover you have with us. This will be included as part of the documents that are emailed to you if you purchase your policy with us and can be presented to agencies and clients as proof you're insured.

  • What limit and type of cover should I choose?

    Professional bodies and prospective clients may need you to have a minimum level of cover before you can start work with them. That’s why it’s worth checking before you arrange cover.

    If you haven’t arranged cover before, or are unsure what the costs might be, think about a hypothetical worst-case scenario and the cost of putting your mistake right. We’re more than happy to talk you through the options - please get in touch via 0800 640 6600 or email customerservice@markeldirect.co.uk.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at Feefo.com.

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of $1.2 billion in 2018.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you’ll find on the Financial Services Register.

Expect more from your home business insurer.

When you take out cover with Markel, you receive these exclusive services as standard:

24 hour legal helpline 24/7 legal advice helpline manned by qualified solicitors

Legal hub access Legal templates and resources with the Markel Law Hub

Access to our fee dispute service to assist with unpaid invoices

Discounted IR35 contract reviews with your policy

Expert management of public relations crises with The Counsel House

A specialist cyber response helpline for help in the event of a cyber attack

Discover more about our support services.

Cover starting at just £5 a month