Public and product liability insurance

Specialist public and product liability insurance tailored to you from as little as £5 a month

Get a quote now
  • Fast, easy online quote in just 90 seconds

  • Interest free direct debit

  • No hidden fees or cancellation charges

Public and product liability insurance is essential cover for businesses that regularly deal with clients and members of the public.

In an increasingly litigious society, having the right insurance is key if you want to protect your business from expensive legal fees and costly payouts.

As a specialist insurer, we understand the risks facing your industry. We have over 25 years experience insuring a wide range of professionals, including business and management consultants, IT professionals, teachers and tutors, fitness instructors, and photographers, and can cover your business from as little as £5 a month.

Public and product liability insurance covers your business against:

  • Injury you cause to a third party during your business activities

  • Damage you cause to third party property

  • Personal injury or damage to property arising from any product you have supplied

Customer reviews


Rated 4.8 stars from 351 customer reviews at Google

Policy Documents

Get a quote now

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Frequently asked questions

  • Do I need public liability insurance?

    If you interact with clients or members of the public as part of your business' activities, you should give consideration to public liability insurance. It covers against many of the slip, trip and fall claims that have become so common, it covers the costs of defending your business against the allegation and, if unsuccessful, compensation payments that may be due to the injured party. In addition, public liability insurance covers against damage to third party property.

    While it's easy to think 'it will never happen to us', the fact is that many claims are unexpected and can't be avoided. Without cover in place, your business could face financial ruin if a claim has to be settled out of your own pocket.

    We offer cover from as little as £5 a month, giving you peace of mind that if a claim were brought against your business, you'd be covered.

  • What kind of claims does public liability insurance cover against?

    Public liability insurance claims can be wide-ranging, but the most common ones include:

    Slips - a customer visits your place of work (be it your office, home or a hired premises) and slips on a wet floor, breaking their arm. They are unable to work and claim against you for the financial loss they have suffered.

    Trips - a client trips over a loose wire plugged into your laptop and sprains their wrist. They make a compensation claim against you.

    Falls - a client falls down some  stairs following a meeting and break a leg. They claim against you for the time they have to take off work and rehabilitation bills.

    Damage to third party property - during a meeting, you accidentally spill a drink over a client's laptop. They claim against you for the cost of repairing it.

  • I need public liability insurance to start work straight away - do you provide proof of cover?

    Yes. If you purchase your policy with us, your documents are emailed to you instantly and include a dedicated 'Confirmation of Liability Insurance' document (detailing the cover you have with us) which you can present to agencies and clients as proof of cover.

  • What limit of cover should I choose?

    Some clients may require you to have a certain amount of public and product liability insurance cover before entering into a contract with you - for example, if you are working from a client's offices or hiring a premises for your activities. You may want to check if this is the case when choosing your limit.

    If this isn't the case, give some thought to a worst case scenario and the likely costs involved with not only defending the allegation, but also the compensation you would have to pay to put your mistake right. We offer limits ranging from £1m to £5m, so you are sure to find the right cover for your business' needs.

  • Why should I choose Markel’s insurance?

    Markel has over 25 years of experience insuring contractors, consultants and self-employed professionals. We insure over 200,000 micro businesses and are highly rated by our customers at

    We are a division of Markel International, a Lloyd’s and London market insurer that wrote gross premium totals of $1.2 billion in 2018.

    To talk about your insurance requirements and better understand our cover, call us on 0800 640 6600 or get a quick quote online.

  • How are Markel regulated?

    Markel is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and Prudential Regulation Authority – details of which you’ll find on the Financial Services Register.

Get a quote now

Cover starting at just £5 a month

Get a quote now

Cover starting at just £5 a month

More specialist cover

  • Professional indemnity insurance

    Professional indemnity insurance covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence (such as giving your client incorrect or wrongful advice) and any compensation or damages subsequently awarded against you. This is essential insurance if you provide advice, designs or services to your client. Cover is available with limits ranging from £50,000 to £5m.

  • Employer's liability insurance

    Employer’s liability insurance is a legal requirement if your business has employees. It covers your business against claims for injury or illness suffered by employees arising from their employment. If you employ staff, even on a part time basis, you almost certainly need this cover. Cover for £10m.

  • Directors and officers insurance

    Directors and officers insurance covers the costs of defending you as a director or officer of your company against allegations of wrongful acts and any damages subsequently awarded against you. Cover is also provided in respect of the legal costs and expenses of defending actions for disqualification as a director, investigations and extradition proceedings. Limits range from £25,000 to £5m.

  • Office insurance

    Office insurance covers your office buildings, office contents and computer equipment against accidental damage (including theft) whilst on your business premises. You can also choose to cover your business equipment (such as laptops and mobile phones) on a worldwide basis, and insure your business against loss of income and/or additional trading expenses following events such as damage to your property

  • Occupational personal accident

    Occupational personal accident insurance can help you maintain an income if you're accidentally injured at work.

  • Legal expenses insurance

    Legal expenses insurance pays your legal costs and expenses for contract disputes, tax enquiries (including IR35), attending jury service, debt recovery, personal injury, as well as any award you are required to pay following an employment dispute with an employee. Limit of £100,000.

  • Cyber and data risks insurance

    Cyber and data risks insurance helps you when you're the victim of a targeted cyber attack, paying the costs of restoring data and equipment, informing clients, meeting ransom demands and loss of your net profit. It also pays your legal defence costs and damages you are legally liable to pay to other parties.

Need some help?

0800 640 6600

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 17:30

local rate and mobile friendly